Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 12-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #1
drewto

Exclamation Streaming Problems and Limited Resolution Options

Hey everyone,

I just got a Dell D6000 dock and a 4k LG monitor. So far, there are two issues that I can't seem to figure out.

Hardware:
- Computer: Macbook Pro 2018 13inch
- Dock: Dell D6000
- Monitor: 32 inch LG UHD Monitor 4k

Issues:
- When plugged into the dock via USB-C, Netflix and Hulu videos will just show a black screen. Audio still works.
- I do not have access to the 1920x1080 resolution option, which is my preferred resolution.

Troubleshooting steps:
- When plugged into a USB-C to HDMI adapter, video playback works as expected
- When plugged into the dock using Safari, youtube works as expected
- When plugged into the dock using Chrome, Netflix and Hulu work as expected
- Restarted computer multiple times
- Reinstalled DisplayLink software version 5.0.1 multiple times
- Called Apple and they said they couldn't really help because it's a Dell problem
- Called Dell and they said they couldn't really help because it's a Hulu/Netflix plan problem
- It's not a problem with Netflix or Hulu because they both work when plugged into the monitor directly via the USB-C to HDMI adapter

Thoughts:
- This sounds like a weird problem handling DRM to me. Hulu and Netflix probably think that I'm trying to use an external monitor to record the video. I'm not, however, and I just want to be able to watch videos without having multiple cables coming from my macbook

Does anyone have any solutions? Are there any new software updates I haven't been able to find or something? Or is my new $100+ D6000 dock just trash?
drewto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:30 AM   #2
drewto

Angry Resolutions (?)

Hey everyone,

Even though no one is replying to this post I figured I would update it with the information I found in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Here is DisplayLink's response to the video playback problem: https://support.displaylink.com/know...y-on-mac-while

Basically it's not supported at all until they release a software update.

As for the resolution issue, I found the page that tells us to use the Option (alt) key to choose other resolutions. While this does allow me to use 1920x1080 at 60 hertz, the only thing that seems to work well is the mouse. All of the window animations are choppy. I tried playing a game that was running at 55 fps, but then when I dragged it to the external monitor it appeared to be playing at 10-15 fps.

So my question to the DisplayLink employees out there: Are we going to see an update soon that allows protected content to be played? Or will I have to unplug my monitor every single time I want to watch Netflix (defeating the purpose of the 4k monitor I bought)

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the really poor frame rate when doing anything other than moving the mouse around?

Finally, since I've spent a good amount of time on this, I need to ask: does anyone know of any other powered docking stations that DO NOT use DisplayLink? So far every single one I've looked at on Amazon use DisplayLink.
drewto is offline   Reply With Quote