Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Enabled Products > What to buy?

Old 07-28-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Arczi

Default Laptop Lenovo Y510p and how to support 4K 60Hz- question ?

Hello
I would like to have Nec Ea275uhd but my notebook support only 2K. I have USB 3.0.
Iam searching for dl 6950 because it support 60Hz. What should I buy? Sorry for my bad english. Iam searching internet but I dont see usb graphics adapter with 3.0 and chip dl 6950 only dock. Is it possibile to do that? I think that chip dl 6950 have gpu so I can use it without my notebook Lenovo Y510p? What about support 10 bit colour? I saw some usb dock like Targus 160 I dont know why it is avalable in USA only. But this option is not cheap. What is defference between Diamod USB dock DS6950 and Wavlink wl ug69dk1? Can I bought they with support 230V 50Hz for Poland?

Does Wavlink wl ug5501h support 4K but in 60Hz? When I contact to wavlink thay say yes, but I am still not shure, because it is on hdmi base, Only DP support 60Hz. There is DP version of wl ug69dk1 but it base chip 5500.
4K 60Hz will be support only for dl6950 yes? And for only DP output?

Last edited by Arczi; 07-29-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Arczi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,
Thank you for your interest!

Not only DP supports 60Hz on 4K.
HDMI 2.0 also supports 4Kp60.

That Wavlink WL-UG5501H does NOT support 4Kp60. It would got to 4Kp30.
The Wavlink product supporting 4Kp60 is their WL-UG69DK1 dock which supports dual 4Kp60 on HDMI or DP. It looks the same as the one from Diamond Multimedia.
The WL-UG69DK1 cannot be based on the DisplayLink DL-5500 because it supports 5K (by combining two DisplayPort outputs of the DL-6950).
DisplayLink is a semiconductor company so we don't design, manufacture or sell any end product.

Other products using the DisplayLink DL-6950 today are the Dell D6000, Targus has several docks including the one you mentioned, you also have the Plugable UD-ULTCDL.
Some models support USB Power Delivery over Type-C which explains their price...
Some models only feature DisplayLink whereas others combine technology with USB Alternate Mode, which would only work over Type-C connector on platforms having specific hardware inside them (DisplayPort over Alt-Mode, HDMI over Alt-Mode, Thunderbolt...)

You would have to ask the manufacturer if their power adapter is worldwide, but I haven't seen an adapter only working in the US (110V-60Hz) in the last 5-7 years. It cost more money for manufacturers to have different sourcing. If you buy in the US, the plug would be wrong, but that can be changed easily to a European one... We do that all the time for tradeshows.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Arczi

Hello,
and thanks for your answer. I prefer wavlink wl ug69dk1, because it has 3.1 Type C and 3.1 Type A (3.0) usb cable. I have only 3.0 and when I will change my Pc I still be able to connect it to 3.1 Type C. I saw this product on Amazon.de but it isn't ship by Amazon. I can't find Diamond on EU. Wavlink it is seems to be this same product to Diamond DS6950 and it will be send from China with support 230 50Hz power adapter.
Wavlink said that my PC/ Notebook must support 10 bit color if I want to display it on extended monitor screen. So why chip dl 6950 doesn't include 10 Bit color?
Wavlink include audio out. Does it has good sound?

But what about Kensington SD 4000 K33983EU 4K? Does it has 60 hz?

Last edited by Arczi; 08-01-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Arczi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
AlbanRampon

Hello,

I don't understand the question about 10-bit.
Today, the DisplayLink DL-6950 chip doesn't feature 10-bit colour space. It may change in the future but I doubt in the near future. As nobody has been asking for it, that feature is very low in the list.

All DisplayLink products will work over Type-C, even the one created 10 years ago, because we use real USB. A simple passive plug adapter is enough to transfer from Type-A to Type-C. The benefit of native Type-C are when you include USB-PD (Power Delivery) or if you wish alternate-mode.

All the DL-6950 products I know would use that chip for audio. You can do 5.1. It's behaving like a standard USB audio device.

That Kensington dock model is not recent enough to feature the DisplayLink DL-6950. The first product to market to have the DL-6950 was released in December 2016 and it was the Targus Dock160.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ds6950, lenovo usb 3.0 4k 60hz, wavlink wl ug69dk1, y510p