Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
anakha

Default External displays do not start properly (manual setup each time)

System
I have a brand new Dell XPS 15 and picked up the Targus USB 3.0 SuperSpeed™ Dual Video Docking Station at the same time.

Problem Description
The issue I have is that when I start the laptop, only the laptop screen shows. The two external monitors do not fire up. The other connected devices (printer, webcam and speakers) do show as connected.

To have the two external monitors start working I need to disconnect the device from the laptop and unplug the power on the Targus device (which is a funky connector BTW). Then I need to plug the power back in, connect it again, connect the two monitors and then the other devices. The power unplugging is the important piece there. If I just unplug the other devices and plug them in, or mix in reconnecting it to the laptop, it still doesn't work.

I do not want to have to plug this device in and reconnect every device each morning. How can they start automatically?

Steps So Far To Get It Working
Two Display Adapters are listed, Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M.

At first it didn't work at all. I updated the Intel display drivers. I then updated the Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver as per another post. Then it started working and I could see the two external monitors (as well as the laptop monitor).

The network connection was so slow I now don't use it.

I've tried the other USB ports on the system to test them out. The same issue occurs on all ports.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
anakha

Default Update

After a little more testing this morning (after the displays didn't start) it's all about the power. I need to physically unplug the device and plug it in.

Does this mean it's a faulty device? I asked it to look for updates so I presume it would locate a firmware update if there was one available.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
anakha

Talked to Targus support. I updated my Intel drivers from Dell but not directly from Intel. After updating, after the first reboot, the monitors came up properly. I'll update again if the issue after testing again when I return after a weekend away from the office (in case length of time with it plugged in makes a difference).
Old 01-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
anakha

And the issue has returned this morning. I had to unplug the device from power and reconnect for the external monitors to display.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
kevINSIGHT

Default Same issues with Dell 15z

Even with DisplayLink 7.1.M1 reseting power on hub is not fixing it. I'm tempted to force the Intel drivers for Extensible USB 3 over MS versions in My Windows 8
kevINSIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
anakha

Default Unfortunate progress

After continuing to happen it seems my device is faulty. It only took their support team two weeks to determine this. And today my device is also to the point that reconnecting the power makes no difference. So contact their support and they will walk you through the steps to verify this.

I'm soooooo happy that a new device that has never worked properly will cost me more $ to send back since they ding you on warranty shipping. So my current impression is that their warranty support is a "high" quality as their devices.