Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED - Windows 10 Software

Old 07-22-2015, 06:40 AM   #1
cpgeek

Default can't use 17" apple studio display on displaylink usb adapter

Hello,
I'm testing windows insider build 10240 enterprise.
I'm using an HP nl571aa displaylink adapter connected via usb to my desktop and by DVI to an Apple ADC to DVI adapter, which is connected to power and my 17" apple studio display. The display gets power (visible by the led on the front of the display), but the panel doesn't (totally black, no backlight). As a test, I plugged another known good display into the displaylink adapter and that was successful. I also plugged the apple 17" studio display directly into the video card, and that too, was successful. Furthermore, this same apple studio display operated just fine on this very same displaylink adapter on the same computer under windows 8.1 (using the windows 8.1 drivers that hp has on their driver page for this device).

I saw in another thread that you guys suggested to someone having issues to run a diagnostic tool that a displaylink employee linked to in order to gather more information about the machine and the problem they were experiencing. In hopes of a slightly more expeditious resolution, I have included the output of that tool in this post as well, in case you find it useful.

I would be very grateful for any assistance you can provide.
Thank you in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: zip OPTIMUS_20150722_011341.zip (759.2 KB, 4207 views)

Last edited by cpgeek; 07-22-2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:14 AM   #2
cpgeek

I don't mean to be rude at all. But I thought i'd check back in to my forum post and was saddened to see that I've gotten no replies as of yet. I was rather curious if anyone at displaylink had a chance to look over my issue, or if anyone had any other ideas I could try.

For what it's worth, i've installed V7.9 M0 and still get the same difficulty.

Thank you
Old 07-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
JamesH

Hi,

Can you check if the latest Nvidia graphics driver fixes this?
http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/87789/en-us

Thanks,
James
Old 07-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
cpgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Hi,

Can you check if the latest Nvidia graphics driver fixes this?
http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/87789/en-us

Thanks,
James
I've updated to the latest nvidia driver (the ones you reference) and it doesn't resolve the issue. Would it be helpful to re-run the diagnostic tool?
Old 07-30-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
PaulJ

Hi cpgeek,

From your logs nothing obvious appears wrong. Are you able to try a few things to give us a bit more information?

Can you see if you are able to move your mouse pointer onto the DisplayLink display? Do you see the arrow?
Can you try dragging a Window onto the DisplayLink display? Does anything change?
Can you run desk.cpl and try changing the resolution of the DisplayLink display?
Does your monitor have multiple inputs? VGA, DVI, etc? If so can you check it is using the correct one?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-03-2015, 04:01 AM   #6
cpgeek

an update to my situation:

I upgraded my graphics card to an amd radeon 7970 by switching to the generic vga driver, removing the old card, inserting the new one, downloading the latest beta version of the graphics driver (15.7.9 beta for windows 10 x64 circa 9/30/2015), ran the displaylink driver cleaner, downloaded displaylink driver 7.9M2.

My Apple 17" LCD still didn't work on the displayport adapter.

as a test, I decided to plug my samsung syncmaster 2443BW into my displayport adapter and found that despite it's native mode of 1920x1200 that it was operating in 1920x1200 which I found to be odd and annoying.

I ran dxdiag and found that the monitor correctly reported the native resolution, but was running at a lower one for some reason and the windows display control panel says that 1920x1080 was the highest resolution possible. The only time i'd seen this display behave this way is when using vga. I looked in the dxdiag log for a second at the output type and sure enough, it said HD15 (despite being connected directly via dvi). I plugged my apple display in, reran dxdiag saving the output, and indeed, output type was listed as hd15. I then looked at the original log I posted here in my original post, and sure enough, dxdiag reports display output is hd15. I'm under the impression my displaylink adapter is attempting (and succeeding) at outputting analog information over the dvi-i cable (resulting in my lowered resolution on the samsung display) but because the apple display is dvi-d, it won't accept such information.

Do you have any idea how I can tell my displaylink adapter to output DVI?

I really wish I had a windows 7 or windows 8 computer to test these findings with to see if dxdiag reports an output type of DVI when working properly under those operating systems with the supplied HP drivers. Sadly I don't have access to one at the moment.

Thank you for your assistance!