Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #1
Ragnar28

Default Windows 7 Users forced to upgrade

I am one of those die hard guys that did everything in my power to remain on windows 7 for as long as i can , i just dont like ten for various reasons but now Microsoft began blocking updates on Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs running on newer Intel and AMD processors, are they finally making the move to force us to use 10 ? Is this even ethical ? U know i get updates are a critical part of a operating system , but is it fair for them to assume that everybody who has a pc has internet? Or even more so 3 -4 gigs for a weekly update ?
Ragnar28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Even if I can understand some frustration this forum won't solve, I would suggest we stay factually correct for everyone reading as I feel too much exaggeration may weaken the point you are trying to make.

Updates on new hardware have not stopped recently but in April 2017. Windows 7 has been out of mainline support for 3 years now (13th January 2015). Microsoft started talking about not updating new platforms 2 years ago.
As a current user of both Windows 7 and Windows 10, I don't need to be connected to the Internet to use Windows 10 and I don't receive weekly 3 GB updates... I receive a monthly cumulative patch, like on Windows 7, and more regular anti-virus updates. If the PC is not connected, then the update doesn't take place like with any OS.
Even the Fast Ring of the Windows Insiders Programme I'm using at work to make sure there is no OS changes affecting our technology, doesn't get weekly updates and this is a voluntary enrolment for users who specifically request to have the (almost) latest code... It is not a full OS image but incremental/differential updates.

For people who don't want new features, like for Linux, their LTS branch (Microsoft calls that LTSB version and will soon call it LTSC for chanel) is available which means the OS is not upgraded every 6 months or so. Windows 10 Pro users can also choose to delay deployment by up to a year without being on LTSB.
The very first version of Windows 10 (v1507) is still available on LTSB, but I would advise against using it.

I am not sure how we can help you here as DisplayLink does not decide on Microsoft policies.
Such post would be much more visible to general Windows users and Microsoft themselves on the Microsoft community. As there is more visibility/relevance there, you would get more traction than here. Even if DisplayLink technology has millions of current users on Windows, this is a subset of people affected by the update policy.
For the time being, DisplayLink has not announced anything regarding stopping bug fixing on the Windows 7 driver.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
Ragnar28

Hi albon , i apologise for being unclear in my post regarding the windows 7 issue, Im not expecting a solution as i believe this is something that is inevitable. I mean if you like windows 95 , too bad for you. I am just venting a bit , i posted this on other forums and die hard windows fans trash 7 , im not even trying to say which operating system is better or implicating responsibility to you guys in any way. .

I was just looking for a discussion on it the situation, this often helps me learn more about what is actually happening. ( and sometimes you find some nice work arounds )
For example i now know that these updates that i am getting is not a standard thing and i need to find out why my pc is doing this or the fact that a weekly update is not standard when i in fact have them.

I followed the lengthy procedure ( one that windows has made suspiciously difficult for your average user ) to disable auto updating.

Apologies if i have infringed on anything.

Regards
Ragnar28

Last edited by Ragnar28; 02-13-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

That's alright to vent every now and again.
Just as long as you don't expect a solution for that here and are only looking for listeners whilst staying polite, that's fine with me!

Old 03-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Ragnar28

Just an update on this i seem to have been very hasty in my decision about windows ten. I actually took some time to optimise the operating system for my pc one thing that changed alot dramatically was looking at my startup programs ( or programs that startup on launch ) and i found a ton of bloatware. After taking most of it of i returned the internet update setting to how it came and it runs really well. Also it doesn't do the 3gig updated so im guessing those bloatware programs must have been nailing my cpu and network too.

Right now its like having windows 7 only better which is what i would expect windows ten to be.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Thank you for taking the time to post an update, that was a very humble of you.

I have a similar experience than you.
Initially, I tried to keep using Windows 10 like I was using Windows 7 and found frustrating.
Then, I decided to take the time to switch my mindset to embrace the new features and how they were presented and that helped my productivity return and increase, like you.