Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 11-08-2021, 10:00 PM   #1
JanB

Thumbs up HiDPI workaround

I wonder if "Better Dummy" (https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDummy) could help solve the HiDPI problem (more than 1920x1080 HiDPI on a 4K monitor).

Has anyone tried this?

Last edited by JanB; 11-19-2021 at 05:58 PM.
JanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:26 PM   #2
JanB

Thumbs up

I have now tried the "BetterDummy" program and checked whether it can provide a solution for the missing HiDPI resolutions via DisplayLink.

The good news is: Yes, it is a woraround to get HiDPI representation via DisplayLink.

My configuration:
  • MacBook Air M1 (clamshell mode, internal display not used)
  • MacOS Monterey 12.0.1
  • 2x LG HDR 4k monitor (used @ Looks like 2560 x 1440)

Monitor # 1: connected via USB-C to display port adapter (working HiDPI @ 2560 x 1440)
Monitor # 2: connected via Display-Link Dock "Kensington SD4780P" (no HiDPI out of the box)

The Workaround for HiDPI on Monitor #2:

Install and start "BetterDummy" from https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDummy/releases

Create a dummy Display "16:9 (HD/4k/5k/6k)

In the display properties set the "Dummy Display" to:
  • extended display
  • optimized for: Dummy 16:9
  • Resolution: default for display

Switch Resolution of Dummy to desired HiDPI resolution (eg. 2560 x 1440) using the BetterDummy Menu: "Manage dummies" --> "Set resolution"

Set your Display-Link Display in the display properties to:
  • mirror 16:9 dummy
  • optimized for: Dummy 16:9
  • Resolution: default for display

Optional settings of BetterDummy:
--> Now you should have a 2560 x 1440 HiDPI @ 4k

My LG HDR 4k Monitor via DisplayLink is now running @ 3840x2160/60Hz showing 2560x1440 in a crystal clear picture.

This is not a straight forward solution, but now I have two external 4k monitors on my MacBook Air M1 that work with HiDPI to my fullest satisfaction.

Last edited by JanB; 11-19-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
Paulus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post

My LG HDR 4k Monitor via DisplayLink is now running @ 3840x2160/60Hz showing 2560x1440 in a crystal clear picture. Tools as RDM now showing tons of HiDPI resolutions.

This is not an easy solution, but now I have two external 4k monitors on my MacBook Air M1 that work with HiDPI to my fullest satisfaction.
Thank you for this tutorial.

I got this workaround to work. I use two identical LG 32UP550-W 4k displays. One is natively connected, the other one through DisplayLink.

However I don't experience a crystal clear picture like you describe. It is a lot better than the blurry native MacOS option, but it is not even close to the crispness that the natively connected display has. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Paulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:35 AM   #4
JanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulus View Post

However I don't experience a crystal clear picture like you describe. It is a lot better than the blurry native MacOS option, but it is not even close to the crispness that the natively connected display has. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Does your Monitor show on the onscreen Menu, that it is running @4k?

[Edit: I noticed that changing the screen resolution with RDM does not work in conjunction with BetterDummy: When selecting a resolution marked as HiDPI with RDM, no HiDPI is sent to the monitor (the monitor then no longer runs at 4k)!]

Last edited by JanB; 11-10-2021 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:30 PM   #5
tommiy

worls well on the 2020 m1 mac. At least now the display does not give you headaches. Guess Displaylink does not need to do anything to the feature request now as some one elses out of the box thinking has solved it.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:01 AM   #6
JanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
Guess Displaylink does not need to do anything to the feature request now as some one elses out of the box thinking has solved it.
I still hope that the DisplayLink drivers will be extended to include more HiDPI resolutions. That would be much easier for the average user.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:12 PM   #7
pvillacampaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
Does your Monitor show on the onscreen Menu, that it is running @4k?

[Edit: I noticed that changing the screen resolution with RDM does not work in conjunction with BetterDummy: When selecting a resolution marked as HiDPI with RDM, no HiDPI is sent to the monitor (the monitor then no longer runs at 4k)!]
Hello, I don't understand exactly what you mean here. I have the same problem as some colleagues, I see the image more or less well, but it does not reach the quality of the scaling by directly connecting the monitor to the MacBook. Let's say what a native HiDPI would be, I see the texts somewhat blurry (although somewhat better than in low resolution).

Let's say I see it looks like with the new DisplayLink experimental mode

Thank you very much and greetings.
pvillacampaa is offline   Reply With Quote