Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: 5.2 Software Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Duncan

Default Display works once then reports unknown device

I have a HP laptop running Windows 7 (32bit) with an Intel 965 video chipset connected to a kensington K33367 USB dock device.
When I first installed the RC DisplayLink driver everything worked perfectly when connected to a Samsung 19" (940BW) monitor. However, after a full shutdown I can't get monitor to work. Windows reports it as a unknown device. Re-starting the DisplayLink service doesn't do anything. If I uninstall the DisplayLink driver and re-install it (with a few shutdowns in between) then it works again, but as soon as I shutdown, the issue re-appears when I next start the computer.

I have attached a zip file of the contents of the debug folder, so I hope this helps.

thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Duncan.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LogFiles.zip (28.2 KB, 1040 views)
Old 10-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Martin

Hi Duncan,

Could you please tell me what version of the Intel graphics drivers are installed?

One thing you might like to try is to mimic the install process. To do that, first stop the DisplayLink service, then stop the graphics drivers. Then start the graphics drivers and the DisplayLink service. I'd like to know whether this made any difference.

Cheers,
Martin.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Duncan

I have just installed the latest drivers from intel (8.15.10.1930) previous version was 8.15.0010.1825.

I tried to mimic the install process as you suggested, and it made no difference at all.

I have just tried uninstalling the DisplayLink software and re-installing it again, hoping that a fresh install with the updated intel drivers may solve the issue. However, now it doesn't event work first time.

I have attached the latest files from the debug folder and also a screen shot of the "Unknown device" error

thanks for your speedy response.

Duncan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UnknownDevice_20091019.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	76  
Attached Files
File Type: zip LogFiles_200910191234.zip (4.0 KB, 986 views)
Old 10-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Martin

Hi Duncan,

This error is normally due to a dodgy connection. Please try unplugging/replugging and changing the usb cable and the port. The latest logs show that the device isn't being detected by our software.

Let me know how it goes.

Martin
Old 10-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
Duncan

Some very strange events are going on. I tried a different USB cable which made no difference at all. Then for some odd reason I removed the power cable from the Kensington Dock and the device was immediately recognised and my desktop appeared on the monitor. All seems to be working fine, apart from the monitor screen being a bit flickery (Could this be due to Windows 7 Aero effects?). I will test further over the next few days with leaving the power cable un-plugged. I have no idea why the thing needs a power cable if it works without it?

Another strange thing is that I now have a "Kensington Dock 33367" icon in my system tray. I haven't seen this before even when it worked the first time I installed it. Stranger still is that when I click it and select "Check for updates" it says that there is an updated DisplayLink driver available. I haven't installed the updated driver because I know I am using the 5.2RC driver which must be the latest.

Anyway, I'll let you know how I get on over then next few days. fingers crossed.

Duncan.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Martin

Hi Duncan,

When does the main screen flicker, and for how long, and does it affect the whole screen or just portions?

The tray icon has been present for quite some time, but there were problems before the RC in that it would only be present if the displaylink screen was extended. Remember that Windows usually hides too.

Regarding the update, we have just released the product release of 5.2 onto Windows Update. I would imagine an announcement from Seb will come soon.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Duncan

you can really notice the display flicker when you open a new explorer window or application. It is also noticeable when you drag an open window around the screen. It affects the whole screen and lasts for a couple of secconds. It seems to be a little better when I turn all the Aero features off, but still flickers a bit at the same events.

I am sure the tray icon wasn't there previously. I had read somewhere that there should be a tray icon, so have always been checking to see if it was there.

I will look out for the update.

thanks.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
Duncan

Just a quick update on a few things.

1. The screen flicker appears to be down to the VGA cable between monitor and dock. the cable works fine plugged directly into a pc but changing the cable resolved the flicker issue.

2. The reported update I mentioned is in fact a later version. I have downloaded and installed it and everything still works fine.

3. I have not yet plugged the power cable back into the dock. it obviously doesn't need it and seems to be working fine without it.

Thank you Martin for all your help. It was great to have such a speedy response.

Duncan.