Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 12-02-2023, 09:58 PM   #1
jamucy

Default 2 identical monitors. Monitor 1 works in both DP ports. Monitor 2 is struggling?

Last week I bought the WAVLINK WL-UG69DK1 USB-C Dual 4K Docking Station, to use with my M1 MacBook Pro (2020) and my 2x Asus PG279Q 1440p 144hz monitors.

Monitor 1 will work fine at full res/hz in both DP ports, either solo or with monitor 2 plugged into the other DP port. No issues at all here.

However, when you plug monitor 2 into DP port 1, it will barely work. When it is set to 144hz, if the display comes on at all, it is constantly cutting in and out until it just goes off altogether until reboot. Same with 120 and 100hz. At 85hz the cutting out will stop, but it is for some reason more like 30hz. At 60hz it will work fine.

The problem is still present but nowhere near as bad when monitor 2 is plugged into DP port 2. 144hz mostly works but the display will cut out randomly, could be 20 times a minute or 2 times a minute. The power indicator on the monitor will flash between orange (cut out) and white (signal).

I currently have monitor 1 plugged into DP port 1, and monitor 2 plugged into DP port 2. Both at 120hz. So monitor 1 is working flawlessly, but monitor 2 keeps cutting out.

I also have the HP Universal USB-C Multiport Hub (50H55AA). Monitor 2 will work flawlessly when plugged into this dock, with monitor 1 plugged into the WAVLINK DP port 1. This was just for testiong -- I do not want to use 2 docks.

This proves there's nothing inherently wrong with monitor 2, but just with the way it is interacting with the WAVLINK somehow?

I first had 2x Amazon Basics DP cables, since bought 2x StarTech certified cables but no difference. I've also tried swapping the monitor power supplies around. Also tried different cables to connect the WAVLINK to my MacBook.

MacBook is always on charge with original power supply.

Nothing else connected to the dock (speakers, kbd) is cutting out, it's just monitor 2.

If anyone is able to shed any light on the situation it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm just confused at this point

Last edited by jamucy; 12-02-2023 at 10:08 PM.
jamucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 10:03 AM   #2
ScreamCZE

DisplayLink supports at most 60Hz. Sometimes it is possible to get higher frequencies, but they are not supported.
ScreamCZE is offline   Reply With Quote