Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #91
Ccher

is this fixed yet ? i am still getting high CPU utilisation when using with Dell D6000 docks
Old 02-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #92
Manuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccher View Post
is this fixed yet ? i am still getting high CPU utilisation when using with Dell D6000 docks
Is your dock also noisy and has coil whine?

And I have little faith that they will fix it.

Too bad, Dell didn't continue with their old docks. They worked great. With DisplayLink there are speed issues, stutter and the hardware seems to be less well tested.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #93
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Yep, most was addressed as comments testified. It sounds like sometimes new builds from the OS have an impact as was also commented by third parties.

There was also still a longer part we have to deliver, as the last comment I posted exposed as well. That feature progresses well and we demonstrated it at the Consumer Electronics Show last month with visitors surprised by the low CPU impact driver dual 4Kp60 with one display playing a 4K video, even on a famously underpowered Intel Core M machine.
I hope that we can deliver a preview in the next major release for people who wishes to test. The feature will not be ready from prime time and therefore a registry switch will be used. Then, when the feature is ready, it will be enabled by default, like the previously delivered features.

A computer driver update won't fix a coil whining somewhere else, if someone promises you something like that, I'd recommend you stop listening to him/her straight away. If you're unit is defective, please contact Dell, the manufacturer/seller of the end products, to discuss a replacement/hardware support
DisplayLink does not manufacture end products, we are a semiconductor company providing one chip in the box and the driver going with it.

But without any tangible data, use case description, and machine details, then maybe what you're seeing won't be addressed. When we have a new thread with details of the use case, logs and objective data (=what "high" means doing what), then we might be able to progress your particular use case(s).

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
Old 02-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #94
Manuel

Looks like my comment was misunderstood.
Me asking the other user if they also experience coil whine was unrelated to the driver issue. I just wanted to ask this another user of this dock.

The "little faith for it to be fixed" is actually addressed towards the software issue described here. This thread is two years old and I haven't noticed any improvements in the driver versions of last year since I reported my system. Maybe it is better in some artificial benchmark in the lab, but it surely isn't noticeable when using it on an everyday work computer.
Like I reported, video replay on WQHD isn't fluid and stutters. Anything changing significantly the screen content will hog the CPU and the fans start to work overtime as a side effect.

Nice that everything worked great at the CES last month, but significant improvements are promised here for the last year and they have yet to reach the users. If it works so well, why not release it now as an alpha? Worst case it that it doesn't work and we have to go back to the version we use now. Why tease us without delivering an update? A probable reason not to do this is that it is a version specifically tuned for the CES demo but not everyday use, where it would fail.
As a user I feel like I'm a beta tester, but for a commercial products that was released years ago.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #95
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Good morning,

If you actually wish to see which improvements were delivered, and for which use cases, I invite you to read the material (forum posts, or public release notes). Each time, what was changed was communicated.
Here is just one example with comments from other users who saw the benefits.

A computer using Windows 10 does not select the driver the machine owner wants. If the device manufacturer has decided a driver version is to be distributed by Windows Update, the machine will receive it.
You can remove it and then within minutes or even less, the other versions will come back, depending on network access and severity of the update.
Windows 7 update model is different than Windows 10. Windows 10 OS was designed with software as a service in mind.
I can't predict which driver version a specific manufacturer will decide to want on Windows Update for their product, or when they will want it pushed. Microsoft can also decide to override vendor wishes if they have a reason, like they did with the Intel patch which started to create BSoDs everywhere in the last few weeks. The OS built-in telemetry is very useful for Microsoft to monitor reliability and request vendors make improvements.
That's why us using a registry entry is the most viable solution for a feature preview in the next release for a feature which I'd like enabled at the release this summer, if of acceptable quality. This will allow to selectively enable a feature only some really want, whilst keeping the bug fixes and other improvements the release will deliver.

The current state of that driver showed at CES is that it works on specific hardware (which includes the Dell D6000). This is how agile software development work: start with smallest scope possible to deliver something and then build on it. It has no safeguard or fallback for yet unsupported configuration. So, if with an unsupported configuration, at best, garbage will show on displays. As stated before, the number of crashes is monitored by the OS and unhelpful actions could be taken.
Also, the software needs to pass security tests before it goes out.
It is simply not ready for release. No conspiracy, just responsible software development practices and I already transparently stated this.

Playing videos on VLC has much worse performance than the inbox Windows Film and TV because it doesn't have similar hardware acceleration.
You stated it yourself that the video will "play fine" on the properly accelerated players.
Also since then, Intel has fixed their graphics driver for OpenGL so applications can benefit from hardware acceleration again. That improved performance greatly in some cases.

Improvements were delivered in the OS, in GPU drivers and more importantly DisplayLink side, and feedback proves it.
More improvements are still being worked on, as already exposed.

Regards,
Alban

Old 02-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #96
CodeKiller

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Is your dock also noisy and has coil whine?

And I have little faith that they will fix it.

Too bad, Dell didn't continue with their old docks. They worked great. With DisplayLink there are speed issues, stutter and the hardware seems to be less well tested.
Problem is that Dell wants money and most of pro users are using docking station just to open word or excel files.
So for them a small, light, docking station is all they need and Dell pleases them as they make more money...

End of story, this problem will never be solved as there is no software solution because you cannot compress 30 images par second without using CPU.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:54 AM   #97
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

The 8.5 beta is now posted.
Details on the 8.5 beta forums on how to check the preview of the feature I have been mentioning, proving it is possible.
It explains scope, what to expect, and how to test for people who wish to test.
When it is ready, it will be released enabled by default.

Feedback is welcome there, rather than on this severely overloaded thread.

Regards,
Alban

Old 05-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #98
CloudEPDB

Default Did anyone try this?

After assuming this problem, I was about to throw the Docking and buy another one. But I realized that if you use another administrator account everything is fine. There is no lag or CPU at 100% / 85 degrees Celsius.

Today, i'll go to make a backup from my account and create another one. W10 is a piece of shit, always fucking with drivers or graphics issues.

Sorry for my english, i am spanish.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #99
CodeKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudEPDB View Post
After assuming this problem, I was about to throw the Docking and buy another one. But I realized that if you use another administrator account everything is fine. There is no lag or CPU at 100% / 85 degrees Celsius.

Today, i'll go to make a backup from my account and create another one. W10 is a piece of shit, always fucking with drivers or graphics issues.

Sorry for my english, i am spanish.
Because, obviously, when something is going wrong it always comes from Windows 10...
Old 06-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #100
An_old_dude

Default Plugable Dock Station + three 4K monitors

Below are my graphics specifications - the "USB Device" is a Plugable USB-C Triple Display Docking Station (https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Char...8Q0504M91Z27KG)

I have three 4K monitors attached - the main one (Dell 27" using one of the two USB-C ports on my Yoga 920 laptop); two Dell 24" are attached to the Plugable dock.

The delay caused by the high CPU usage of the Windows Driver Foundation is maddening! I really hope you fix this soon...

Graphics

DisplayLink USB Device
Adapter Compatibility DisplayLink
Resolution 3840 x 2160
Bits Per Pixel 32
Number of Colors 4294967296
Refresh Rate - Current 60 Hz
Refresh Rate - Maximum 75 Hz
Refresh Rate - Minimum 24 Hz
Driver Provider DisplayLink
Driver Version 8.5.3459.0
Driver Date 5/11/2018