Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
troyglidden

Default Dell D3100 + Latitude E7470 Win10 - Blue Screen PNP FATAL ERROR

I've been trying to solve this for three days, yet nothing is working. Hopefully someone here can help me!

I recently had my work E7470 updated to Windows 10 (1803) and I am having extreme difficulty using my Display Dock (D3100). I've tried software versions 8.4, 8.6 and even 9.0 so far. My docking station forces my PC into a blue screen with PNP_FATAL_ERROR code on it every time. I've tried to narrow it down and it seems to be coming from the HDMI portion. I have the dock connected now as I type this and my keyboard and mouse are working, but as soon as I connect an HDMI cable to the rear of the D3100 dock, the PC goes into the blue screen.

HDMI works in the native HDMI Port on the PC for both monitors on different cables. I use this dock on my personal Win10 machine with no issues whatsoever and it has DisplayLink 8.4 installed.

How often does the issue occur? -- Every time I connect HDMI to the dock
How do you invoke the issue? - Plug in HDMI Cable to the dock, doesn't matter which port
How do you recover from the issue? - Restart and unplug my HDMI
Was the issue present in older versions of DisplayLink software? - NO
How are you connected to the DisplayLink device? Directly or through a USB hub? -- Directly via the provided cable

As for logs, I've tried to download the DisplayLink Windows Support Tool (v1.0.1.31) from the link provided, but when it installs, it will not open. In addition, after that, the file is immediately deleted from my system (not sure if file-driven or IT-driven). Is there an alternative to obtain logs?

Thank you in advance for your help!!
troyglidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
troyglidden

Slight update after doing some more research.. Now engaging my IT folks to see what they can do.

I did findthat it appears Cylance may be the culprit here. I found it here at this link and it seems it was supposed to be fixed in a Cylance Hotfix (1494) in June, but not sure if that has been applied to my PC. The alternative, it seems, is to disable Device protection/Device Control. This would explain why the docking station works on another Windows 10 Machine without Cylance and not on mine.

Hoping this is the case and I can get it fixed ASAP.

Aside from the above, are there any other suggestions/resolutions I can attempt? I have a feeling my IT folks won't be extremely willing to assist with the Cylance portion..
Old 12-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,
You are correct there was an issue identified with Cylance creating that BSoD code.
Unfortunately, even if that protection was not active, the filter was still interecepting calls and crashing Windows, I seem to remember when we discussed this at the time.

If you can share the dump file, I can have a look and confirm/infirm if Cylance is in the call stack before the crash.
DMP compress very well. You can share them through the cloud sharing service of your choice.

Kind regards,
Alban
Away 2nd January - 14th January

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
troyglidden

Thanks for the reply!

I'll work on getting that dump this week upon my return to the office. I'll also be putting in a request with our IT folks to create an exception in Cylance to see if that helps.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Troy,

I am not certain an exception in Cylance will work.
For most people I have dealt with, the software wasn't enabled to filter anything, but it was still intercepting calls.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote