Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 11-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
Cloroxbottle

Default AOC USB as only monitor?

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice as to how to set this up. I built a small intel NUC to use as a DC powered computer on a boat. Windows 10 is installed and updated, I'm running the Displaylink 9 Beta software.

Everything works fine so long as I have two monitors plugged in (HDMI and USB). Using the windows display settings I can mirror, extend , display on 1 and 2 only, and make 2 my primary display.

The problem is when I start up without the HDMI monitor connected. It seems that regardless of what I have set prior to shutdown, it automatically starts up in extended mode with the USB screen as screen 2. The end result is that any apps you run don't display anywhere but the taskbar.

I've even tried starting with an HDMI cable connected to the NUC with no monitor connected and it does the same thing.

What can I do to fix this so the USB screen will be the only one and everything displays on it?
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post
Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice as to how to set this up. I built a small intel NUC to use as a DC powered computer on a boat. Windows 10 is installed and updated, I'm running the Displaylink 9 Beta software.

Everything works fine so long as I have two monitors plugged in (HDMI and USB). Using the windows display settings I can mirror, extend , display on 1 and 2 only, and make 2 my primary display.

The problem is when I start up without the HDMI monitor connected. It seems that regardless of what I have set prior to shutdown, it automatically starts up in extended mode with the USB screen as screen 2. The end result is that any apps you run don't display anywhere but the taskbar.

I've even tried starting with an HDMI cable connected to the NUC with no monitor connected and it does the same thing.

What can I do to fix this so the USB screen will be the only one and everything displays on it?
While I cannot be sure, it sounds like Windows is still recognizing the HDMI output built-in to the NUC as a potential display output (even though nothing is connected) and is registering it as a 'phantom' display.

These types of problems can be tricky to workaround, as each specific piece of hardware can behave differently.

While I cannot guarantee a result, you may want to try using a HDMI dongle that emulates a display's presence such as the Fit-Headless -> http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fit-headless/ to simulate a HDMI connected display, and then mark the simulated display as 'Disconnected' within Window's Display Setting application. This may provide the workaround you are looking for.

Again, no guarantees that this will work but I wanted to make mention nonetheless. I have no affiliation with the Fit-Headless manufacturer.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
Cloroxbottle

Thanks for the recommendation , I ordered one and will give it a try. Hopefully with it connected to the HDMI port it will work.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Good afternoon,

I concur with Bob, we've seen that on some NUCs and the product he advised is marketed for that product line.

These machines seem configured to force an HDMI even if there's none.
Sometimes when the HDMI is removed, the graphics card is disabled, which is even more unhelpful.

I expect the product to have a memory chip which simulates a display. It fakes an EDID and you can find some of these under fake EDID or HDMI Dummy for a few dollars on Amazon too.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:39 AM   #5
Cloroxbottle

So I did get the fit headless. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is plugged in or not as the AOC USB still behaves exactly the same - as the "extended" desktop for a phantom display. I can click on the start menu and get it to pull up... But any time you launch anything, that window doesn't show (although the icon shows on the Taskbar).

This is regardless of whether I select "Duplicate displays" or "Show only on 1" or "Show only on 2" in the multiple displays option before shutting down.

The only time the AOC USB monitor works properly - that is, launched windows appear on it - is with

1. A real HDMI monitor is plugged in and "duplicate displays" is selected
2. A real HDMI monitor is plugged in and "Show only on 2" is selected.

In all other configurations I've seen it only behaves as an extended desktop. You're right, you would think that a fit headless would solve this but for some reason it doesn't unless theres an addiotional software configuration step for it that I'm missing.

Any other suggestions?

When I go to the Device Manager I see two items under Display Adapters:

- E1759Fwu
- Intel 620

Should I try uninstalling or disabling the Intel 620 drivers and just leave the display link driver installed? Slightly worried that if I try this that it will render the machine unbootable.

Anything to change in the Bios? or...?

I have a hard time believing that this can't be accomplished given that a USB powered monitor is the ideal monitor for something like a NUC.

Last edited by Cloroxbottle; 01-04-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:20 AM   #6
AlbanRampon

Hello,
You shouldn't disable the Intel GPU. That's what computes the graphics. Usually it has no effect.
When something is in the wrong display, you can move it by using Windows + Shift + Arrow keys.
How many displays do you see in Windows display settings and what is the name of the headless monitor?
Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
Cloroxbottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,
You shouldn't disable the Intel GPU. That's what computes the graphics. Usually it has no effect.
When something is in the wrong display, you can move it by using Windows + Shift + Arrow keys.
How many displays do you see in Windows display settings and what is the name of the headless monitor?
Kind regards,
Alban
So I started the machine and picked the "settings" option from the main menu. As expected, the AOC display operated as the extended display. I used Windows + Shift + Right Arrow to move the launched settings window onto the AOC so I could see it.

The display options showed the Fit Headless as Monitor 1, the AOC as Monitor 2, and the mode as extended. I changed it to "Show Only On 2". Let me see if this survives a restart.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
Cloroxbottle

So that seems to have worked. The "show only on 2" setting has survived both a shutdown and cold start and a restart. So the key is that the AOC monitor defaults to the extended "2nd" desktop regardless of what you select with two screens connected before shutdown.

To make this work, attach a fit headless to the HDMI port, start the machine, and then use the Windows-Shift-Arrow keys to bring the settings window into view on the AOC monitor after you lauch it. From there you can go to display settings and change the "extend" option to "show only on 2". Shut the machine down and restart and it should behave properly from then on.