Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 04-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #171
Alanant

It seems that Apple retail employees are aware of this issue. I needed to drop some hardware off for repair at my local Apple store. One of the hardware repairers, who also does time on the Genius Bar, acknowledge the DisplayLink issue and confirmed that the hardware can come back with 10.13.3 installed (as per my request).
Alanant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:32 PM   #172
strim

Just want to share my temporary workaround to continue normal life with 10.13.4 with 3 monitors connected to MacBookPro 2015.

I used one DisplayLink adapter, so 3 monitors were connected over: DisplayPort, HDMI, DisplayLink. All had worked fine with clam-shell closed. After upgrade to 10.13.4 I installed the latest DisplayLink driver 4.3 beta 2, opened the laptop screen and set it to be cloned to the monitor connected over DisplayLink. DisplayLink driver clones the "main" monitor, i.e. the monitor that has menu bar in "Displays / Arrangement" system preferences. If your built-in display in not the "main" one, just drag menu bar to it in display arrangement settings.

To fix wrong resolution of the cloned screen I used DisableMonitor v1.92 utility, https://github.com/Eun/DisableMonitor. It allows to set any resolution to any connected monitor. My monitor wired over DisplayLink was just 1920x1080, so I enforced the resolution using the utility instead of original retina resolution of the built-in display.

Last edited by strim; 04-13-2018 at 02:30 AM. Reason: More details
strim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #173
sla3k

So after trying and trying and trying, and 2 sleepless nights I managed to revert my Mac to MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and finally managed to get my 2 external displays to work.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM
Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

This is as far as close I could get to MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3

For any poor soul like myself (just before now) who is still trying to get their Macs working with display link adapters and trying to downgrade, this might be helpful.

Steps:
1. Install the OS that came pre-installed with your Macbook (pro, Air etc. etc.). If you are at 10.12.4 or higher (which I am guessing you are, otherwise you won't be looking at this post), there is a nifty feature that you can use to revert your mac back to factory defaults.

PS. ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE LOST, SO MAKE SURE TO BACK IT UP BEFORE ATTEMPTING.

Restart your macbook, press and hold: SHIFT + OPTION + COMMAND + R keys (you would need both hands, I tried to use one but could not, maybe you get lucky, lol).

2. Once the rotating globe appears, you can let go of the keys and it will download just a bunch of bootable files to kick off the installation.

3. In the new window that appears, click on Disk Utility and Erase/format your main disk (format with Mac OS extended).

4. Quit the Disk Utility and click on Recover Mac OSX (in my case it is OSX Yosemite, 10.10.5 with which my Mac was shipped). Let it do the rest, once the installation is complete, you can follow the on-screen instructions and get into the OS.

5. Next part comes from App Store. From this link, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202, click on "Get macOS Sierra." in the middle of page somewhere (it will be in blue highlighted text) which will opn App Store. Click on "Get".

6. From here, follow the onscreen steps once the download completes. It might take a lot of time depending on your internet connection, download is about 5.6 GB.

7. Once all is set, you can download DisplayLink drivers version 4.1 and it will work.

I have tested it with my Mac and it worked like a charm.

I downgraded from High Sierra to Sierra but at least I got my two external screens working.

Any comments/corrections are welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited by sla3k; 04-12-2018 at 09:55 PM.
sla3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:10 AM   #174
DLguy

Installed the new beta driver and it mirrors. Works as noted, however my screen resolution is not adjustable. I have a black bar on each side of my external monitor as there is no place for adjustments.
DLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #175
Wozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLguy View Post
Installed the new beta driver and it mirrors. Works as noted, however my screen resolution is not adjustable. I have a black bar on each side of my external monitor as there is no place for adjustments.
You need to go back read the advice.

The mode in the beta driver is not mirror mode its clone mode, therefore the resolution and the aspect ratio cant be changed. The software is doing exactly what DisplayLink say.

in 4.3 beta 2 there is no mirror and no extended desktop just clone mode.
Wozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #176
strim

The resolution of cloned monitor can be changed, please read my post above. The utility DisableMonitor, https://github.com/Eun/DisableMonitor does the work.
strim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #177
phrogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by strim View Post
The resolution of cloned monitor can be changed, please read my post above. The utility DisableMonitor, https://github.com/Eun/DisableMonitor does the work.
And I was able to change my resolution through SwitchResX (http://www.madrau.com/). When I plug in my DL device, it automatically changes to 4K resolution (which is unreadable on my laptop) and clones it perfectly to the connected monitor.
phrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #178
Teledatageek

Default gave up!

Returning the USB-C docks and have Thunderbolt 3 docks on the way. Two monitors vs. three, but at least more than one!
Teledatageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:14 AM   #179
gpsutter

It works for me.
gpsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #180
gpsutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsutter View Post
It works for me.
Sorry, my comment got separated. I was referring to clamshell mode, which works for me. At least I don't have to stare at a dead monitor.
gpsutter is offline   Reply With Quote