Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 05-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
JaceKorso

Default Display Link Driver Removed By Windows

After a feature update to Windows 10 this morning to version 1803 on my LG Gram, I got a message from Windows saying that the driver has been removed as it is incompatible with my current windows version. My version of Display Link Graphics Driver is 8.4.3026.0.

Any updates on this? Do I have to update my graphics driver to 8.5? I'm afraid as there has been a number of problems as seen from the forums regarding their screens being unable to display.

Regards,
Jace

Last edited by JaceKorso; 05-17-2018 at 08:21 AM.
JaceKorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Jace,

This is a misleading message. We just found out why this was popping up with Microsoft's help.

The driver is not removed.
There was a migration blocker we asked to be added in the OS in the past (from Win7 to Win10 Anniversary Update)
DisplayLinkUI.exe is triggering this message and is deleted. This has zero impact on displays as this executable on this OS version does not interact with the driver or the screens.

We will be renaming the file, and the message will stop popping up during OS version upgrades.
Most won't see the message as they use Windows Update which doesn't deploy that executable.

To sum up, you can ignore that message, it's not removing the driver.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
dyg

Exclamation

Hi,

I have the same issue... but in my case is a real uninstall.

I m testing W10 1703 to 1803 upgrade with a displaylink driver 8.3 previosly installed. I'm using SCCM Task Sequence in order to upgrade it.

In the last year i had the same issue upgrading W10 1511 to 1703 build. I read this note about the changes since 1607 build so I used the correctly package for these upgrade.

https://support.displaylink.com/know...and-windows-10

But now i expected that i had no problems again with displaylink drivers after upgrade. Also i tried to install manually the latest corporate drivers from here

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/corporate

but when the installation starts, it's stops and do a rollback, so no drivers are installed.

what are the best practices in order to upgrade successfully to Win 1803?

Regards
dyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
dyg

Hi,

I have the same issue... but in my case is a real uninstall.

I m testing W10 1703 to 1803 upgrade with a displaylink driver 8.3 previosly installed. I'm using SCCM Task Sequence in order to upgrade it.

In the last year i had the same issue upgrading W10 1511 to 1703 build. I read this note about the changes since 1607 build so I used the correctly package for these upgrade.

https://support.displaylink.com/know...and-windows-10

But now i expected that i had no problems again with displaylink drivers after upgrade. Also i tried to install manually the latest corporate drivers from here

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/corporate

but when the installation starts, it's stops and do a rollback, so no drivers are installed.

what are the best practices in order to upgrade successfully to Win 1803?

Regards
dyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #5
bradyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello Jace,

This is a misleading message. We just found out why this was popping up with Microsoft's help.

The driver is not removed.
There was a migration blocker we asked to be added in the OS in the past (from Win7 to Win10 Anniversary Update)
DisplayLinkUI.exe is triggering this message and is deleted. This has zero impact on displays as this executable on this OS version does not interact with the driver or the screens.

We will be renaming the file, and the message will stop popping up during OS version upgrades.
Most won't see the message as they use Windows Update which doesn't deploy that executable.

To sum up, you can ignore that message, it's not removing the driver.

Kind regards,
Alban

Is there any way to avoid this when upgrading? I've tried adding a step to my upgrade TS to install a newer version of DisplayLink but the message still comes up on first logon.
bradyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Yes, today you just kill and remove that "DisplayLinkUI.exe" from C:\Program Files\DisplayLink Core Software.

Or do an install from the INF instead of the SETUP.EXE.

Or wait 9.0 SETUP.EXE when this is fixed by calling the executable "DisplayLinkTrayApp.exe". I just updated my machine from RS4 to RS5 with 9.0 Alpha installed and didn't receive any message.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 02-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
BSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,

Yes, today you just kill and remove that "DisplayLinkUI.exe" from C:\Program Files\DisplayLink Core Software.

Or do an install from the INF instead of the SETUP.EXE.

Or wait 9.0 SETUP.EXE when this is fixed by calling the executable "DisplayLinkTrayApp.exe". I just updated my machine from RS4 to RS5 with 9.0 Alpha installed and didn't receive any message.

Kind regards,
Alban
We have just added v9.0 into our 1703 to 1809 Task sequence upgrade package. This process overwrites the existing 8.4 displayLink software. Once upgrade has completed and user has logged in, we still get the compatibility message pop up. so it looks like the file name change hasn't worked. We have also tried registry keys to suppress the message, but to no avail.
BSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
AlbanRampon

Hello BSmith,
I'm surprised. Are you overwritting the driver before doing the new OS flighting?
Otherwise, Windows will look at its migration blocker list and delete the file when starting the process.
Once the 9.0 install has ended, what do you get as files in the folder? I'm wondering if there was an issue deleting that file as being .locked'.
Kind regards,
Alban

Old 03-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #9
Config Mangler

I'm getting the warning message if I upgrade the OS from 1703 -> 1809 with DisplayLink 8.5 installed. I have tried it after deleting C:\Program Files\DisplayLink Core Software\DisplayLinkUI.exe but still get the warning.
If I upgrade with 9.0 installed it's all good.
Any ideas on the workaround for 8.5? I want to avoid rolling out 9.0 to 12,000 machines first!
Config Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #10
Config Mangler

Think I needed the exit code, so in the upgrade TS before upgrading

cmd.exe /c taskkill.exe /IM displaylinkui.exe & exit 0

del "C:\Program Files\DisplayLink Core Software\DisplayLinkUI.exe"

# and to be double sure - REG DEL on the Run key for DisplayLink
Config Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote