Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 04-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
surfacePro123

Default Surface Pro [1796 model] multiple monitors surface dock // d6000 dock issues

hi all,

i have two different issues with my new surface and surface dock and or dell d6000 dock i am hoping for help with.

my setup is as follows using surface dock with SP 1796 and two monitors 1 LG @2560x1080, 1 dell @1920x1080 and the sp screen set to 2736x1824. out from dock using mini display to hdmi cable one amazon and belkin:

1st issue- for some reason the surface dock will not retain windows positioning upon waking up from sleep. how do i get the dock to remember what screen is supposed to retain what window? its impossible to use the dock when every time i walk away from the computer for 5 - 10 minutes when i get back i have to move windows all over the place.

my setup is as follows using DELL D6000 with SP 1796 and two monitors 1 LG @2560x1080, 1 dell @1920x1080 and the sp screen set to 2736x1824. out from dell dock using hdmi to hdmi cable to lg and out using display port cable to display port on dell monitor

2nd issue- while the dell d6000 dock usually retains windows position after waking from sleep it does have another crazy problem where certain software will not load correctly on the external monitor. it will load fine if i launch it to the surface pro screen but on external monitor its a no go which leads me to believe it has to do with graphics drivers?

i have updated both docks to the latest firmware etc... but that didnt alleviate the issues.

any help is greatly appreciated.
surfacePro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

The Dell D6000 and Microsoft Surface Dock use totally different technology.
Of these two products, only the Dell D6000 is based on DisplayLink technology.
If the screen content is not kept, this is most likely because the screens are effectively disconnected, but that would be up to Microsoft to comment on how their product work.

About content not loading, I would need to understand what you select as your "main display" in Windows display settings. That will be where the system tray will be displayed.
When the issue takes place, are you using extended desktop with the native screen or is the native screen turned off?
Finally, as I've got a suspicion of what is going on, do you have the same problem when the native screen is turned on, and is primary display before you launch the application?

The last link in my forum signature gives details on how to get the logs from the machine.
I'd need to understand what is the GPU and which driver version it's using.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
surfacePro123

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,

Thank you for your post.

About content not loading, I would need to understand what you select as your "main display" in Windows display settings. That will be where the system tray will be displayed.
When the issue takes place, are you using extended desktop with the native screen or is the native screen turned off?
Finally, as I've got a suspicion of what is going on, do you have the same problem when the native screen is turned on, and is primary display before you launch the application?

The last link in my forum signature gives details on how to get the logs from the machine.
I'd need to understand what is the GPU and which driver version it's using.

Kind regards,
Alban

Thanks for trying to help me...

my main display is the LG monitor and it is selected as such as extended desktop. when you say native screen you mean the surface pro screen? if so that is on. so in essence i have three screens on two external and surface screen on.

the surface pro will show the software correctly when its selected as the main screen or not. if i launch the software and it goes to the lg that is set as main screen the software doesnt load correctly but i can drag it to the surface screen and it looks great.

also i have tried and circumvented the dell dock for one monitor by using minidisplay cable from the surface to the dell monitor and the software will launch correctly on that monitor. the only monitor which it will not launch correctly is the monitor that has to pass through the dock.

I am using driver version 8.4.3480.0 i will look at your sig and see about sending logs.

thanks

Last edited by surfacePro123; 04-13-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Thanks.
That doesn't sound like what I was thinking about.
Would you please be able to take a photo of the corruption as displayed?
If you use Print Screen and paste that somewhere, it's the corruption visible in it too?
From the look and from where it shows, that can lead me somewhere.
Thank you!

Old 04-13-2018, 08:10 PM   #5
surfacePro123

Thanks for trying to help.

It is 3d printing software and the software just loads up with a white background and thats it.

picture of software loading:

https://imgur.com/a/NVWPI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PquVzQ4 - Copy.jpg (82.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by surfacePro123; 04-14-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Thank you. I wrote to the software company to get some details on what could lead to white screens on their end.
From that, this can give an idea on what could be done.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
surfacePro123

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Thank you. I wrote to the software company to get some details on what could lead to white screens on their end.
From that, this can give an idea on what could be done.
hi, any update on this one? thanks.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

They use QT with OpenGL libraries.
It could be the Intel graphics driver OpenGL pass-through issue we've discussed numerous times on this forum or another. Or it could be from these libraries. It might be more the latter as the pass-through issue can usually be worked around by changing the primary display.

Do you see the white area in a Print Screen screenshot of the issue or is the content visible on it?

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 05-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
surfacePro123

Thanks for the reply.

Not fully sure what you mean but i took a screen shot and its all white I do not see content.

thanks.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #10
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Thank you for the information.
The Print Screen screenshot does not really capture what is being on the screen, but what Windows thinks is there.
What is shown on the Print Screen is taken before the content is handed over to our encoder.
As the content is corrupted on the Print Screen, it is corrupted before DisplayLink driver gets it, so no amount of code change in the DisplayLink driver will be able to recreate the data which is not available.
This leaves 3 possibilities based on what computes the pixels:
1. The application,
2. The GPU driver,
3. The Windows OS.

I don't believe it can be an issue in Windows. I've never heard about that white screen before.
It might be a GPU driver issue, but this would be something new. What Intel graphics driver version are you using? (check in Device Manager in Display Adapters, version is like aa.bb.cc.dd).
It's the first time I hear about white screens, so it might be from the application, or a way the application reacts on another issue.
To proceed further, we would need to test with other machines. For this, the application would be required.
The only thing we now know is that it's not the DisplayLink driver, but that doesn't solve much...

Kind regards,
Alban