Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 01-03-2019, 01:49 AM   #1
riniboo

Default Dell G7 + D6000 Docking Station mouse/keyboard disconnect/reconnect issue reproduced

Problem:
-----------
My keyboard and mouse keep disconnecting/reconnecting. I am running Windows 10 Pro (build 1809) with latest update, I read some articles about similar issue, so I updated all necessary drivers but it is still happening. I thought it was just happening randomly to me originally, but now I found a way to produce it constantly.

Connection:
-----------------
Dell G7 15" 7588 laptop is connected to the D6000 docking station by USB (Not thunderbolt USB-C). HDMI and DisplayPort are not used.

I have updated:
---------------------
- DisplayLink software version 9.0.1651.0
"DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows 9.0 M0.exe"
- D6000 firmware updated to latest (from Dell web site)
"Dock_D6000_FW_Updater_A02_73F77.exe"
- Updated Intel chipset drivers, USB 3.x driver
"Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-Driver_691VF_WIN_10.1.17541.8066_A00.EXE"
- nViDIA GTX 1060 graphic driver:
"nVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-And-GTX-1050Ti-And-GTX-1060_4N8Y4_WIN_24.21.13.9836_A02.EXE"
- Windows update to latest (Windows 10 Pro build 1809)

These are the devices I am connected to the D6000 docking station:
------------------------------------------------------------------
- LAN RJ45 network cable
- Audio jack for speaker
- Mouse (Logitech G9X)
- Keyboard (SteelSeries 6GV2)
- Because I need to use the nVIDIA GTX 1060 for GPU, the HDMI is NOT connected to docking station (not using DisplayLink), my HDMI cable is directly plugged into monitor.

Here is how I replicate the issue successfully:
------------------------------------------------------------
I plugged the NexStar double bay USB 3.0 Hard Drive dock to the laptop, then copy a 400 GB from HDD1 to HDD2. During this time, when I tried to use the keyboard or mouse (via DisplayLink D6000 docking station), they will get disconnected and then reconnected constantly. The behavior of mouse is a bit different from keyboard, mouse will get the USB disconnect "ding" sound but keyboard will not. The "Num" LED on keyboard goes off and then light up again, sometimes the keyboard will repeat the last key for x times, like the cat steps on the keyboard. Both mouse and keyboard can lag up to 1-2 seconds and comes back to normal and then keep repeating very frequently.

If I don't use the NexStar, mouse/keyboard will get disconnected/reconnected randomly, sometimes copying files via over the LAN network, but that I cannot reproduce it constantly. I don't know what triggers that honestly.

My workaround
--------------------------
Workaround 1: Because D6000 docking station supports Thunderbolt USB-C, this problem goes away if I use Thunderbolt. Yes, this is the workaround. But every time I reboot the machine, DELL's BIOS will give me a power adapter warning message, it's very annoying (it's NOT DisplayLink issue, this is a separated topic, due to D6000 doesn't have enough power to charge the Dell G7 via USB-C). That's why I want to us USB instead.

Workaround 2: Plug both mouse and keyboard directly into laptop's USB ports. Oh well, this defeats the purpose of having the docking station.

Maybe I am still missing something? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by riniboo; 01-03-2019 at 02:36 AM.
riniboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Riniboo,

Your very detailed explanation is great.

Mouse and keyboard both go through one or two USB hubs (depending on which port they are connected) in the docking station. It doesn't go through anything DisplayLink.

The device drops of the bus, and that's why Windows chime is going on.
When your keyboard goes down, but there's no sound, it means Windows doesn't even know the keyboard went.
The docking station doesn't use Thunderbolt. It has both USB and DisplayPort Alternate Mode support when over USB-C. There's no USB host controller on the docking station.
For your keyboard and mouse, it isn't supposed to make a difference as it uses the same pin and traffic in both USB-C and USB-A mode.

The issue you are experiencing is very low level and seems to be between the computer USB port/host and/or the docking station USB hub. Having the keyboard working when plugged in directly does NOT exclude the USB port/host as being responsible.
Your hard-drive file copy data will not go to the dock, but will stay on the laptop. That seems to direct the investigation towards the machine having the trouble with USB2 whilst on high load of USB3 traffic.

Did that start happening with Windows 10 v1809 or was that present before?
Have you raised that with Dell yet?

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dell docking station, keyboard lag, mouse disconnect, mouse lag, mouse reconnect