Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
llaughlin

I'm running on a Dell at work:
Computer: Dell Inc. - Inspiron 570 DYTTFQ1
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (x64-based PC), Service Pack 1, English
OS Build: 7601 (Debug = False)
System Bios: Version A05 built 2010/12/20
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor
Number of Cores: 3
Memory: 5887 MB
Free Space: 709685 MB
Primary Resolution: 1920x1080x32
Desktop Size: 4020x1680
Number of Monitors Connected: 3
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)
Graphics Driver: 8.930.0.0 Dated 2011/12/05

I've had this issue with what I assume is the displaylink driver for several months now. I got it to use a 3rd monitor, obviously, but I've also experienced major hangs with chrome on pages that use flash. I'm also starting to experience heavy graphical glitches on the monitor using the adapter, such as temporarily reduced resolutions, tearing, a sort of fuzzying effect, and sometimes I have to manually reset the resolution to get it back to normal.

I've installed the latest displaylink drivers from Dec 21st:
DisplayLink Graphics (7.1.44323.0) on 2013/01/07 Status is Installed
DisplayLink Core Software (7.1.44152.0) on 2013/01/07 Status is Installed,
and it works fine for an hour or so, but it's like a buffer gets filled or there's a memory leak or something because later, every page that loaded flash would hang.

Today, I updated Chrome to it's newest version (a patch was pushed out) and it seems that EVERY PAGE I load in Chrome freezes once this buffer has been filled. I've had to resort to Firefox just to browse blogs, nevermind youtube or actually interactive pages like a build server interface. I'd love to go back to Chrome because of it's awesome dev tools and plugins, but this DisplayLink issue is making it impossible.

A co-worker has emailed them several times about the problem and apparently they've never responded. I'm not really sure what to think of DisplayLink now, as they seem to be the only provider of USB monitor adapters.

If anyone knows an alternative adapter, I'm all ears at this point. I'm sure I'm beyond the warranty period, but nothing is worth this pain.

Last edited by llaughlin; 01-14-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Posting debug tool diagnostics
llaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
bender29

Whoops, guess I spoke too soon. Started getting the same old chrome+flash crashing problems. Strange thing is that it was working fine for days, and then all of a sudden the problem occurs, and after that, it keeps popping up even after chrome restarts, and laptop restarts.

I'm too attached to Chrome right now to switch over to another browser. But can anyone else report whether this happens in Firefox or IE?
bender29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
Wim

Yep - I'm having the same problem with Chrome and seems to have got worse with the latest Chrome update.

Most of our devs use Chrome too, so this should motivate them to investigate this.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
llaughlin

Default Firefox usage

I've had to resort to doing everything non-dev related in firefox (including reading blogs, youtube, email, google searching, etc) and doing my actual web development in chrome because I'm that much more comfortable with Chrome's Dev Tools.

However, even Firefox hasn't been free from DisplayLink's corruption. In particular, there's one very annoying graphical anomaly that occurs on my non-DisplayLink monitors when I click a dropdown menu, primarily in Firefox's UI. I can see the drop down flash for a moment, but then the options become invisible. They only become visible when I am moving my mouse over the options, but as soon as I stop, they go invisible again. Needless to say, it's quite jarring to watch and extremely frustrating to try to select options, especially in nested dropdowns.

Other than that, however, I have yet to see any slowdowns in Firefox, especially with Flash related products. Now I just have to keep 2 browsers in sync with my preferences, bookmarks, addons/extensions....First world problems!

But yes, please SOMEONE let them know that this is unacceptable and needs to be fixed. Soon.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #15
Roquefort

Just reporting in to say that I have the same Chrome crashes that everyone else is reporting on my own laptop, as well as on at least three other Dell laptops (using Targus Superspeed 3.0 docking stations.)

As well, I get major graphical glitches and mouse-lag when trying to use a monitor over the docking station, so we've forgone that method completely and plug directly into the laptop. Of course this kills the dual-monitor option and it really sucks. Had I known I'd be getting all these bugs, I'd have recommended Latitude's and gotten docking stations that work.
Roquefort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
sabiancrash

I am having the same issue with Chrome (both current stable [24] and canary [26]) hanging for 60seconds on new tab or new browser window. Initial load is fine. Found out that I can trigger the hangs to start by locking my screen (winkey + L) and then unlocking. See this issue for more details.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...tail?id=172332

I also have the DisplayLink usb DVI adapter from monoprice (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=6038) running the latest Display Link drivers (core: 7.1.44152.0 graphics: 7.1.44323.0)

So far I have had good luck running chrome with the command line args --disable-gpu

Possible its trying to run GPU acceleration on the displaylink adapter and it times out and has to revert to software rendering?
sabiancrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
llaughlin

Default Reverting to 6.3 works so far

I went so far as to uninstall the driver (Graphics and Core components) and restart. Windows prompted me to install drivers for the new hardware, and it found version 6.3 of the DisplayLink Core driver.

Since I've been running that (approximately Thursday afternoon), I haven't had any issues (crosses fingers!).

Not a great solution, but at least for me it's working.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
LatencyMachine

By disabling everything pertaining to HW acceleration, I've been able to stabilize Chrome on my Toshiba Dynadock U3. Not a solution, but a workaround.
  • Turn off anything pertaining to GPU or HW in chrome://flags/ (Just enter that URL in the address bar if you've never done this before).
  • Change your Chrome shortcut to to include the command line switches " --disable-gpu --disable-software-rasterizer" (I'm not sure if that last switch is truly applicable... I encountered mention of it in another discussion forum)
LatencyMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
Wim

This should now be fixed in v7.1 M1 available from our website.

Wim
Wim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
technomax

Default Possibly related , more general Chrome issue

I am trying to get the word out about this problem. The Chrome guys naturally want to push the bug responsibility to DisplayLink people. It's probably best if BOTH camps are aware.

See the bug report at:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...tail?id=172018
technomax is offline   Reply With Quote