Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED - 8.2 Beta for Windows

Old 03-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
AlbanRampon

Smile 8.2 Beta 2 on Windows 10 Anniversary Update - f.lux

Hello,

As a preview, you will be able to try using f.lux or the Windows 10 Creators Update night light feature with 8.2 Beta 2 on Windows 10 Anniversary Update and newer.

List of requirements:
1. Windows 10 Anniversary Update (v1607, build 14393) and newer
2. A docking station or adapter using the DisplayLink DL-3000 or DL-5000 series. Go to Device Manager, right click on your dock/adapter and select detailed properties. Then, the hardware ID must start with USB\VID_17E9&PID_43

Limitations of this preview:
1. Issues when using a dual display device in single display mode to driver higher resolution may result in one or multiple crashes. This can include BSoDs at reboot or USB Host Controller freeze. If that issue occurs to you, do not insist, there is absolutely no point.
2. Windows 10 Anniversary Update has a bug in the gamma table. Microsoft has now fixed the bug in the Windows 10 Creators Update builds. The bug will NOT be fixed in Windows 10 Anniversary Update. The result can be black indirect displays. Do follow the steps below!
3. Old versions of Windows not fitting the requirements above don't work.
4. Devices using DisplayLink technology not fitting the requirements above don't work.

How to enable f.lux or night light preview:
1. First, install f.lux or enable the night light feature in Windows 10 Creators Update.
2. Install the 8.2 Beta 2 on your computer
3. Start Regedit, go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DisplayLink\C ore
Create a new "String Value" with the name "EnableGammaRamp" and Data being "true".
4. Replug the dock/graphics adapter.
5. It now works.

How to DISABLE f.lux or night light preview:
1. Start Regedit, go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DisplayLink\C ore and DELETE the registry name "EnableGammaRamp".
2. Replug the dock/graphics adapter before you start uninstalling f.lux.

Troubleshooting:
Black external displays: if you're on Windows 10 Anniversary Update, that can happen. Start f.lux and it will correct the wrong blank values sent by the OS. Alternatively, remove the registry key as described in how to disable the feature and do a USB replug.
F.lux doesn't work: report what device you have in a new thread, posting your logs would help. The most likely reason is that your setup doesn't fit the requirements given above but it could be a bug.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution

Last edited by AlbanRampon; 03-10-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
justauser

Default problem with ethernet adapter

I installed beta 2 (without f.lux). The ethernet adapter stopped working. it wa working just prior to install. uninstalled and then installed 8.1 and ethernet still not working. will try a reboot. I am on 15055, latest insider release.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #3
dgreczyn

Installing this beta successfully got f.lux working for me. The problem I am now having is that when I reboot while DisplayLink dock is plugged in, my external displays stay black until I log in, and remove/re-plug the usb connection once or twice. Any thoughts?

Setup:

Dell Precision 5510
DisplayLink D3100
2x Dell P2414H (one connected via DisplayPort cable, one connected via HDMI > DVI cable)
Old 03-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
tracertit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreczyn View Post
Installing this beta successfully got f.lux working for me. The problem I am now having is that when I reboot while DisplayLink dock is plugged in, my external displays stay black until I log in, and remove/re-plug the usb connection once or twice. Any thoughts?
I have the same problems since Beta 2 Update.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:54 AM   #5
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,
Which OS version are you using?
If you are using 14393, this could be because f.lux has not yet started and therefore you are hitting the OS bug I flagged in the limitations.
The OS is sending 0 gamma tables (instead of default) which kind of means blank (it means all black). But this is a valid value so we can't just discard 0 gamma curves as it could be used by applications to an "artistic" progressive blanking. Microsoft has been EXTREMELY responsive in fixing this as they fixed it within 1 HOUR of me flagging this to them! But the fix won't be applied to 14393.
If we discard the 0 gamma tables, then a screen blanking may never be totally black which may become a security issue in screen sharing applications.
Do you think it is better? I am really hesitant to implement this as this is going to be very short lived: you are getting the new official OS (Creators Update) with the proper fix in less than a month. I need to balance effort (=> cost) with payback.

I'm interested in getting your feedback on this so I take a proper decision!

Instead of replugging the device, could you please try to force f.lux night/darkroom mode from the laptop/direct display? If you recover your indirect displays, this is the OS bug. If you don't recover your displays, our engineers need to fix that! (please give which Win10 build you are using for our internal reproduction and analysis).

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 03-22-2017, 05:50 AM   #6
kieserjw

I'm also interested to see the results of this
Old 04-24-2017, 02:55 AM   #7
ottadini

Hi, is there any chance that a fix might be in the works for Win 7?

I have 2 monitors attached to my laptop through the DisplayLink USB dock, but only my laptop screen is affected by f.lux.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Ottadini,

It's not really a fix but a new feature. But semantics aside, yes, I have a team on writing the code for this. It's almost complete and they have some automated tests left to do to defend the feature, and also we have to do the full GPU compatibility tests.
I hope to be able to release on Win7-Win10TH2 and Win10RS2 (so everything but Anniversary Update which has the gamma bug) for our v8.3 in/around July for devices with Hardware IDs starting with USB\VID_17e9&PID_43.

Kind regards,
Alban