Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
ErikJD

Default Cannot install updated driver on Lenovo X1 Carbon and USB 3.0 Dock

I am running a Lenovo X1 Carbon (Type 3444-2HU) with a Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock.

No matter which DisplayLink driver I try to install from the DisplayLink site (including the latest Windows 8.1 Release Preview (build 9431)), the DisplayLink driver version is not being updated under ThinkPad USB 3.0 Dock Properties in Device Manager. Here is what this tab says:
Driver Date: 3/19/2013
Driver Version: 7.2.46733.0

This is relevant info from the Details tab:
Device description: DisplayLink Adapter (4302)
Hardware Ids: USB\VID_17E9&PID_4302&REV_0014&MI_00
USB\VID_17E9&PID_4302&MI_00

My entire system was working fine until I upgraded my system to Windows 8.1 Preview (which I have since uninstalled in favor of Windows 8). In Windows 8.1, and now in Windows 8.0, Microsoft Lync 2013 crashes upon startup.

I've tried reinstalling the Lenovo drivers (install file Setup_U3_Dock_Lenovo_EXE_v10708), but nothing has worked...

I'm out of ideas. Looking forward to your feedback. Can I even install DisplayLink-provided drivers on my Lenovo USB 3.0 Dock??
ErikJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
JamesH

Hi,

Yes this version number rarely changes.

The key thing is to check the version number of the DisplayLink Core Software in the Control Panel.

Regarding the upgrade - removal of Windows it's difficult to know what has happened - how did you restore Windows 8?

Here's my suggestion:

1. Disconnect the dock
2. Uninstall the DisplayLink software
3. Run the cleaner tool from here:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=297
4. Install v7.3M0 from here:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php
5. Reconnect your dock

If you still have issues you may need to update your laptop's graphics and USB 3.0 drivers - see the guide here:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

Logs would be welcome if you're still stuck.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
ErikJD

Hi James,

Thank you for your quick response. I've done everything you requested (Lenovo also lists the identical steps on their site (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/deta...DocID=HT078204), and I completed them several times over the past few hours as well.

Please reply with an email address I can send the logs to as I cannot post them here. FYI - I ran a standard log set, followed by an Advanced Set since I can easily reproduce MS Lync crashing after launch.

Thanks,
Erik
Old 07-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
ErikJD

James - one other update. I have this identical dock at home. When I connected my X1 Carbon to it last night, the laptop didn't even recognize the dock. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them following the instructions you provided, but to no avail.

I suppose my home dock could have gone bad somehow?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
ErikJD

James,

Here's the latest:
1) My home dock DOES work; for some reason, it was "disabled" in my Device Manager. Once I enabled it, it worked fine
2) Although MS Lync continues to NOT WORK when I'm connected to my work USB 3.0 hub, it DOES WORK when I'm connected to my home USB 3.0 hub.

This leads me to believe the firmware on the two USB hubs is different. Is there a way to determine the firmware version of each hub?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
sebbelcher

You could try installing the Lenovo hub firmware update on both hubs? Then you'd know at least they were both at the same version.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guid...DocID=UM014961
sebbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
JamesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikJD View Post
James,

Here's the latest:
1) My home dock DOES work; for some reason, it was "disabled" in my Device Manager. Once I enabled it, it worked fine
2) Although MS Lync continues to NOT WORK when I'm connected to my work USB 3.0 hub, it DOES WORK when I'm connected to my home USB 3.0 hub.

This leads me to believe the firmware on the two USB hubs is different. Is there a way to determine the firmware version of each hub?
Hi,

Open up device manager and look at the entries under Universal Serial Bus controllers.

If you're connected to a USB3 port on your PC look out for "Generic Superspeed USB Hub" or if connected to a USB2 port, look out for "Generic USB Hub".

Double click on each of the above entries and for each one select the Details tab and "Hardware Ids" property from the drop down list.

For the Lenovo dock you'll get one of the following:
Connected over USB3 - "USB\VID_2109&PID_0811&REV_2198"
Connected over USB2 -"USB\VID_2109&PID_3431&REV_2098"

So we can see that on the above dock 9.82 firmware is present.

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
ErikJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Hi,

Open up device manager and look at the entries under Universal Serial Bus controllers.

If you're connected to a USB3 port on your PC look out for "Generic Superspeed USB Hub" or if connected to a USB2 port, look out for "Generic USB Hub".

Double click on each of the above entries and for each one select the Details tab and "Hardware Ids" property from the drop down list.

For the Lenovo dock you'll get one of the following:
Connected over USB3 - "USB\VID_2109&PID_0811&REV_2198"
Connected over USB2 -"USB\VID_2109&PID_3431&REV_2098"

So we can see that on the above dock 9.82 firmware is present.

Thanks,
James
Hi all,

Thank you for your guidance. I seem to be back in full working order.

1) I can confirm both hubs, connected via USB 3.0, are reporting firmware 9.82 (they both are showing the Hardware Id for USB3 James wrote above).
2) I can confirm an errant Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 that was plugged in to the dock via an extender cable that I mistook for a different device, was the cause of MS Lync crashing @ startup. Once I removed the camera's USB cable from the hub, MS Lync worked perfectly.

Thank you, again, for your help.

Erik