Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > Alpha, Beta Software Testing Programs > Closed Alpha and Beta Programs > CLOSED: Mac OSX 1.7 Release
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
kel

Default 1.7 Beta 3 hurts my Lion computer

I've been using my DisplayLink USB video card for over a year on OS X Snow Leopard. I upgraded to Lion and installed the 1.7 Beta 3 driver and it caused big problems. Rebooting goes to a gray screen & I never get to a login prompt. It doesn't matter if the DisplayLink unit is plugged in or not.

The only way to recover my computer is to book it Safe Mode, uninstall the driver and I can use my computer again. The 1.7 Beta 3 seems very buggy. Clearly it works for *some* people but definitely not for *me*. Later I tried it again, and same problem. Gray screen, computer hangs and won't get to a login screen.

I'm running a 17" unibody Macbook Pro from 2009.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Wim

This is a known issue caused by an Apple bug as covered here:

http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059

We need to wait for Apple to fix this as there is nothing we can do.

Wim
Old 09-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
kel

Hey, thanks for the reply. Come to think of it, I've noticed other graphics oddities in my computer since upgrading to Lion. I guess all we can do is wait for Apple to fix it.

Thanks
Kelly
Old 09-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
mlachnerv

Default Big problems with OSX lion

I am having big problems too, as soon as I plug in the display link unit (Toshiba Dynadock U), my macbook pro freezes and I have to reboot.
This happens every time
Old 09-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlachnerv View Post
I am having big problems too, as soon as I plug in the display link unit (Toshiba Dynadock U), my macbook pro freezes and I have to reboot.
This happens every time
Could you please use the debug tool here http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269, collect the information after the freeze/reboot and post the output file? Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
feardamhan

I find that the beta 3 driver works ok, when the system is booted and logged on. I use gfxCardStatus to ensure that there is no power based graphics switching going on.

However, where I see the issues are when I lock my screen (when leaving my desk) using fast user switching. When I return and try to logon, the console is hung. Spinning disc. No keyboard input possible. I have to hard boot the machine to get going again.

Never had this issue on SL, so have had to revert to SL as my three screens are crucial to my work.

So it seems like there is an issue with the driver irrespective of the power switching.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
feardamhan

I should add that I have been using gfxCardStatus on SL for a year now to overcome the same graphics switching issue, with no problems so the issue isnt with that.