Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Linux and Open Source

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
torsions

Default USB 3.0 Displaylink DL-3000 series: DL-3100 / DL-3500 / DL-3900

Is anybody concerned about making it work under linux.
In Win8 (don' t know about Windows RT) it will be natively supported.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
thnld

Default Also interested

I am also very much interested in the development of linux support for the DL-3000 series. On the homepage it says that linux support is scheduled for the "near future". Are there any ETAs?
Will this support also include the audio out?
Will it be incorporated into the existing udl driver in the kernel?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Wim

We don't have any ETAs at the moment, and still looking at the best path to do this. One issue is that the DL-3000 supports content protection and we need to ensure this remains secure under an open source environment.

Wim
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
knilyalpsid

Angry no ETA? - bad info

that's a real bad info. windows-only-world is over. there're so many work-places with macs and linux-pcs (and even some others)...

has "content-protection" anything to do with DRM?

simply drop it if you can't open it. no one really needs it, but needs possibilities to connect to more than two monitors in hi-res

unfortunately I've bought a displaylink-device with a DL-3100 (only heard, that displaylink will run with linux) for CAD on a laptop and now I'm really annoyed with a nearly useless device...
Old 09-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
thnld

Thanks for the response Wim!

That is very interesting information. Could you give some more insights into the paths and plans that you consider to support the DL-3000 on linux?

Apparently Dave Airlie from Red Hat is building the infrastructure to support USB display hotplugging. It would be great if this could be used on the DL-3000!

Also, I have to agree with knilyalpsid that probably very few linux users care about content protection.

thnld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
We don't have any ETAs at the moment, and still looking at the best path to do this. One issue is that the DL-3000 supports content protection and we need to ensure this remains secure under an open source environment.

Wim
Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
gazpel

Default updates?

Hi,

i'm also very interested in Linux support for the DL-3xxx chipsets.
Any update on the ETA jet?

regards,
gazpel

ps. +1 to the suggestion to drop content protection if that is a blocker for linux support. The possibility to connect multiple high-res displays and periphals to an ultrabook is what i need.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
thnld

Default Update?

Hi,
I was wondering, with Xorg 1.13 out, it should be rather straight forward to support the DL-3000 on linux, right?
thnld
Old 10-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
khamer

I'd also immediately benefit from this.

Lenovo is pushing the USB 3.0 ThinkPad dock, and ThinkPads are generally known for their good linux support. As it is, all the rest of the dock works perfectly out of the box except for the displaylink adapter.

Be awesome. The linux community (myself personally included) will go out our way to help.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #9
batrick

I also have a USB 3.0 Lenovo dock with DVI ports I can't use because of this driver issue. Can we get an update please?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
thnld

I have the Toshiba Dynadock U3. For me, only the USB hub and the ethernet works under linux, no audio and no video.
Closed Thread