DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Displaylink ceases to work in 10.13.4 (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65890)

donluca 07-06-2018 01:31 PM

Tried it on my Mac and unfortunately didn't work.

The old IOGraphics kernel extension is correctly loaded and working as is the displaylink driver, but unfortunately it doesn't work, which means that there's more to it than that single kext.

slvrscoobie 07-06-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 86314)
Update: July 4th

Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

Installing macOS 10.13.4, or newer, will cause DisplayLink connected displays to go blank after the OS update when using DisplayLink driver v4.1. Extended displays continue to work as expected in macOS 10.13.3 and below.
Functionality such as Ethernet and audio, where implemented, is unaffected.

DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 5 currently provides an interim solution with one extended USB display (720p or 1080p) on macOS 10.13.4, 10.13.5 and 10.14 first two developer previews, using Apple AirPlayョ on machines with that feature. All additional DisplayLink screens will be cloning the primary display.
An FAQ details how to enable Apple AirPlay with DisplayLink display for extend or mirror mode.
The third developer preview of 10.14 has changed behaviour, as already exposed here. Displays using DisplayLink technology will be present in System Preferences - Display. The displays can be activated, and the mouse is visible, but otherwise the displays are black. Should you have already installed that OS version, simply use DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 6 to force the AirPlay interim whilst the work continues.
We do not recommend using that OS version for extended desktop changes as it brings no benefit compared to previous versions. It also adds an undesired audio switch at reboot to be addressed.
When a new version brings value, we will obviously notify you.

Our team continues to progress towards a solution which would both restore full extended display support for multiple DisplayLink displays in a future release of macOS and defend that functionality in the future. As daily users of the technology ourselves, we truly understand how disruptive this loss of functionality affecting the full ecosystem can be. Despite getting closer to tell more about roll out, we stay unable to provide a time-frame or a date for release of this solution.
We will keep providing updates to this message.

Thank you for your extended patience. We appreciate your feedback and support.

Glad I read this! I just upgraded to Mojave after seeing it was working. (edit) Im on the 1st public beta, (10.14 Beta (18A314k)) and it works just like it did in 10.13.

Only issue is the "displaysleep 20 (display sleep prevented by AirPlayUIAgent)"

Just turned off auto update to prevent further issues until this is squared up

Edit - well Auto updates WERE turned off but it Still auto updated to public beta 2 (10.14 Beta (18A326h)) while I went out to run my dogs. setting is back on now that its back. and I installed beta 6, but all I get is mirroring. Hmmm

Edit 2 - now it SEEs the displaylink - seperate display, but its struggling to get it to actually be separate.

edit 3: got it after unistall/reinstall

donluca 07-06-2018 06:54 PM

Alban, do you know which kernel extensions the displaylink drivers depend on?

I'm having an idea of rolling back some kexts to try and get the displaylink working as it was running on 10.13.3, to avoid having to format the mac and start anew.

Neo.aka.Darkman 07-07-2018 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 86314)
Update: July 4th
The third developer preview of 10.14 has changed behaviour, as already exposed here. Displays using DisplayLink technology will be present in System Preferences - Display. The displays can be activated, and the mouse is visible, but otherwise the displays are black. Should you have already installed that OS version, simply use DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 6 to force the AirPlay interim whilst the work continues.

I know you do not recommend to use your kernel extension on third beta of mojave, but I still do this and there is no extended screen experience.

Gudd 07-07-2018 08:22 PM

Well I hope someone comes up with something on this soon. I use 3 external 1080p displays connected to a Dell D3100 Display Link dock and on Thursday needed to use my MacBook Pro instead of my Surface for a work job. Thats when I discovered that something which worked fine back in 2016 when I bought the screens and the docks no longer works.

So I've just spent the last 48 hours backing up my MacBook Pro to a sparse image on a USB drive using a cloning tool (yes, it really did take that long - don't know why) and am now part way through what Apple is saying is going to be a further 9 hours to restore my MacBook Pro back to March 21st which should be the last time machine backup before I installed 10.13.4. Then I obviously have to work out what I've lost and get it off of the clone.

To say I'm not impressed is putting it mildly, but it's not like there is an alternative. I literally know of no other solution to use 3 external screens (something that is pretty common place in IT roles) that would work between a MacBook Pro and a Surface Pro. I'd buy an eGPU if the Surface Pro supported it (and I fancied spending that much!)

--- OK, I'm going to rant OT now, but...

This bit is admittedly nothing to do with DisplayLink but what on earth is going on with computer companies and displays these days? If you've got a HiDPI screen on your laptop (it's getting hard not to these days) and multiple external "standard" res screens (or even one) you'd think you're trying to land a man on Mars it's that difficult.

Microsoft is clueless on this one. Stuff is tiny, or huge, or the mouse doesn't line up with what's on the screen or at best you need to log off and back on again, even when the external screen was connected at boot. Apple do it better, but can you connect multiple screens over DisplayPort cable? Hell no. Well, not unless you want to mirror everything to all the screens. And as for Linux, well, I haven't been able to come up with anything consistent enough to even work out what is going on there!!

People need more than just their internal laptop screen if they're doing much or are not on the road, I seriously wish someone could make all this stuff "just work" like it used to 4 or 5 years ago!!

Right, enough ranting.

tommiy 07-07-2018 10:38 PM

Thought I'd drop by this month to see if any progress has been made to get displaylink docks working. Well obviously now it appears out past 10.14 for Macs as the wording says they are still looking for a solution. My dock is collecting dust in a corner in hope that some day it may be usable again. Im not holding my breath as after 7 months this seems extremely unlikely. I had to purchase an elgato and change my monitors as a result of the displaylink debacle. I'd have to say even if its fixed i don;t think i would return after this period of time. Although its interesting to pop by and just how long Dsplaylink and are going to continue publishing statements that the airplay is interim and that they are yet to find a solution. Lets face it, the airplay is the final and only answer and that the future never comes......

Gudd 07-08-2018 10:37 AM

What dock and monitors do you now have? After my time machine backups proved useless (failed to restore) I知 now sitting here watching Sierra restore to my now blank MacBook Pro and I have to say I feel pretty much done with this DisplayLink shit. I知 very tempted to just recover what little resale value I can on my setup and get something that works. But I don稚 know what. I知 used to 3 screens now.

Chris 100 07-10-2018 02:48 AM

"Future release of Mac OS" hopefully does not mean Mojave.

I was running the DisplayLink adapter on a 2011 Mac Mini for a third monitor. This system will not support Mojave. We need a permanent fix that will work on High Sierra.

donluca 07-10-2018 11:10 AM

Downloading a new update, 10.13.6, it has some updates to AirPlay 2 although I don't think it will do anything to our cause.

More likely it will mess things up even more.

Schrooten 07-10-2018 01:06 PM

Just updated to 10.13.6. I only use one external monitor on my macbook air, still works as a second monitor via Airplay and I can still change the resolution to the max.

tommiy 07-11-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gudd (Post 86333)
What dock and monitors do you now have? After my time machine backups proved useless (failed to restore) I知 now sitting here watching Sierra restore to my now blank MacBook Pro and I have to say I feel pretty much done with this DisplayLink shit. I知 very tempted to just recover what little resale value I can on my setup and get something that works. But I don稚 know what. I知 used to 3 screens now.

I bought an elgato3 dock and a 2nd hand apple 27 inch thunderbolt monitor along with a 27inch LG. I've got a desktop for home some the LG works with a HDMI switcher between the elgato and the PC. The thunderbolt 2 display has an apple adapter connected to it So I end up with the laptop display plus the 2 x 27inch monitors all being separate displays.

Poly 07-12-2018 08:53 PM

Meanwhile, Apple released a few new MacBook Pro models. Current lineup has only Thunderbolt 3 ports.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/...ures-for-pros/

State_from_Jake_Farm 07-13-2018 05:11 PM

Great work!

I believe the time has come to highlight the amazing work that DisplayLink has done to fix the issues stemming from OS X 10.13.4.

They have strived each and every day to apply their skills to mitigate this issue. Time and time again they have shown an intense sense of urgency and resolve with these challenges.

DisplayLink is a beacon of hope amongst a sea of copy-cats and would-be developers, none shall dethrone it.

- Said no one ever.

tommiy 07-13-2018 09:02 PM

And 10.13.6 is now released.

Lets see...10.13.4, 10.13.5 and 10.13.6 and 10.14 beta's,

The impression is obviously as to what is happening. When is DisplayLink going to declare the patient dead? How many more releases before they finally take the plunge and stop trying to do CPR and call it? The embarrassment of 'making progress' but never ever releasing anything has to get too much soon surely.....

MC Ren 07-14-2018 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by State_from_Jake_Farm (Post 86353)
I believe the time has come to highlight the amazing work that DisplayLink has done to fix the issues stemming from OS X 10.13.4.

They have strived each and every day to apply their skills to mitigate this issue. Time and time again they have shown an intense sense of urgency and resolve with these challenges.

DisplayLink is a beacon of hope amongst a sea of copy-cats and would-be developers, none shall dethrone it.

- Said no one ever.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha true. This is beyond absurd.

donluca 07-15-2018 11:36 AM

I'd just love to get a reply from a developer to know which kernel extensions the displaylink driver is using, so I can roll those back to 10.13.3 without having to format my mac and reinstall everything from scratch.

Pbowater 07-16-2018 08:18 AM

Just as a side note for people that need two externals, I am happily using the 13.4 driver to get one monitor over AirPlay, and have my other monitor plugged in via the display port.

This is all on a 2012 Mac Air, and is running 'OK' , but not as good as when I had both monitors running through my Targus dock.

Okibi 07-18-2018 01:45 AM

Beta 3 is out, have they fixed this bug?

Wozzy 07-18-2018 07:59 AM

I can't even install Beta 6 on Mojave Beta 4.

The installer tells me I have to be admin, even though I'm admin.

donluca 07-18-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wozzy (Post 86365)
I can't even install Beta 6 on Mojave Beta 4.

The installer tells me I have to be admin, even though I'm admin.

I was about to ask if anyone has tried the new Mojave beta.

Still no good I guess.

Neo.aka.Darkman 07-18-2018 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donluca (Post 86366)
I was about to ask if anyone has tried the new Mojave beta

Mojave Developer Beta 4: Still forced AirPlay with mirrored display.

donluca 07-18-2018 10:44 PM

I'm curious as to what technical challenges the DisplayLink team has been dealing with. It's been several months since Mac OS 10.13.4 release and while it's probably true that Apple made drastic changes to how video output is handled to enable support of external graphic cards, I'm surprised that a competent team of software developers hasn't been able to find a proper solution other than the AirPlay hack.

MAC 07-19-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donluca (Post 86377)
I'm curious as to what technical challenges the DisplayLink team has been dealing with. It's been several months since Mac OS 10.13.4 release and while it's probably true that Apple made drastic changes to how video output is handled to enable support of external graphic cards, I'm surprised that a competent team of software developers hasn't been able to find a proper solution other than the AirPlay hack.

At the moment only possibility if you use three monitors like me is to switch back to Sierra. Of course, it's painful but at least you can use your monitors.

I have been following this thread for a long time and I haven't seen anything positive.

Pbowater 07-19-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC (Post 86380)
At the moment only possibility if you use three monitors like me is to switch back to Sierra. Of course, it's painful but at least you can use your monitors.

I have been following this thread for a long time and I haven't seen anything positive.

I use three monitors, built in mac air monitor, one airplay, and one via display port.

MAC 07-19-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbowater (Post 86381)
I use three monitors, built in mac air monitor, one airplay, and one via display port.

I meant three externals, one Ultrawide 2560x1080 via thunderbolt and two 1920x1080p monitors via DisplayLink all driven on a Macbook Air. Of course, its worked well all the way from El Capitan without any hitches :)

Gudd 07-19-2018 09:50 PM

Quote:

You can if you want upgrade to 10.13.3 from Sierra. I wiped, went back to Sierra then upgraded to 10.13.3. It was a major pain in the ass, especially when I discovered that my time machine backup would not restore but I just took it as an omen that I should give my laptop a spring clean! I didn't lose anything in the end except three days of my life I'll never get back.

Wish they would sort this though as I now have an external GPU setup that I really want to use at home but still need the display link dock for work so am still stuck because I'm not shelling out for a 2nd eGPU setup for work!!!

donluca 07-20-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

I have a 4 monitor setup: main iMac 27" screen, two vertical screens by the sides and a fourth horizontal high end photography monitor which I use for photo postprocessing and editing.

My issue is that the airplay trick won't let me rotate the monitors, because I need the direct connection for my photography monitor to show the entire range of colors it is capable of and my iMac has only two thunderbolt ports.

So right now whenever I need to work on photos, I need to detach one of the vertical monitors and connect the high end one and all the windows around will scatter and make a mess. Thank God there's the Stay app which will restore the window position and sizes when I get back to the two vertical ones.

Sofla David 07-20-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gudd (Post 86385)
You can if you want upgrade to 10.13.3 from Sierra. I wiped, went back to Sierra then upgraded to 10.13.3. It was a major pain in the ass, especially when I discovered that my time machine backup would not restore but I just took it as an omen that I should give my laptop a spring clean! I didn't lose anything in the end except three days of my life I'll never get back.

Wish they would sort this though as I now have an external GPU setup that I really want to use at home but still need the display link dock for work so am still stuck because I'm not shelling out for a 2nd eGPU setup for work!!!

I also wiped and clean installed Sierra (currently at 10.12.6) from scratch because I did not have a pre 10.13.4 backup. I would love to upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.3 (and then turn off updates) in order to be able to regain some High Sierra functionality (like automatically unlocking my MacBook Pro when wearing my Apple Watch 3).

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the installer to upgrade from Sierra, to [pre-10.13.4] High Sierra. I found the ones to upgrade to 10.13.3 if you already have Sierra, but they don't appear to work if you are not already on High Sierra.

Any suggestions, or a link on how you got from 12.12.x to 10.13.3?

rwr9012 07-20-2018 04:04 PM

Tired of Waiting

For those of you that were tired of waiting for a fix to work on High Sierra, just wanted to let you know I tested out the dell usb-c adapter and it works for the dual monitor setup.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-gr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

donluca 07-21-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofla David (Post 86388)
Any suggestions, or a link on how you got from 12.12.x to 10.13.3?

I *think* I still have the original image to High Sierra 10.13.1. From there you can manually update to 10.13.3.

If you give me a bit of time I can check this and at that point is just a matter of making an image out of it and upload it somewhere.

EDIT: yup, found it, it should be .1 or .2 at best. Ripping it right now, will upload somewhere.

EDIT 2: There you go:

Installation image: https://mega.nz/#!Z6gCQSbD!O6ZoaUvLR...4opkVyLQQrTO8Y

Combo update to 10.13.3: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1953

Sofla David 07-22-2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donluca (Post 86391)
I *think* I still have the original image to High Sierra 10.13.1. From there you can manually update to 10.13.3.

If you give me a bit of time I can check this and at that point is just a matter of making an image out of it and upload it somewhere.

EDIT: yup, found it, it should be .1 or .2 at best. Ripping it right now, will upload somewhere.

SWEET!!!!! you're a life saver. Thanks so much for taking the time to upload this. I'm downloading it now and I'll be saving this like Gold

Gudd 07-23-2018 03:26 PM

Apologies - I didn't see your post. It looks like you're sorted now anyway but fortunately I had a copy of the 10.13.0 installer on my NAS. It's not something that I consciously do (although I will now), but I had a few older base versions there which meant I could avoid any forced updates by Apple.

That said, I'm struggling with 10.13.3 so I'm going to have to find a way to live without DisplayLink that doesn't cost me too much money.

slvrscoobie 07-23-2018 07:27 PM

Anyone else having issues with the beta drivers on Mojave, keeping videos from playing.
Youtube, fb, any videos just 'load' then stop. If i disconnect the airplay - plays fine.

sla3k 07-23-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donluca (Post 86391)

Thank you very much! after a few months of pain, I am back at 10.13.3 and with my 2 external displays :D:D:D

donluca 07-23-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofla David (Post 86394)
SWEET!!!!! you're a life saver. Thanks so much for taking the time to upload this. I'm downloading it now and I'll be saving this like Gold

No problem, glad to help! Let us know if you manage to get back to 10.13.3 and get everything working again.

Also, an update on the current status would be sweet, even a "we're still working on it and making progress" would suffice.

I'm a bit afraid we'll be left alone.

Sofla David 07-23-2018 09:49 PM

Yup, I'm good to go! I ran the 10.13.0 upgrade you posted, and then downloaded and ran the 10.13.3 combo update. Everything ran seamlessly and I am now at 10.13.3 with updates turned off. I'm perfectly satisfied for now sitting at 10.13.3. I can't really think of anything in the later High Sierra versions, or even in Mohave (except maybe Dark Mode), that I would really miss. I'm sure there are security updates that could be an issue, but It's a calculated risk I'm willing to take for now to be able to use my current monitor.

I have a feeling Displaylink as we knew it will never be the same. Apple is not going to change their OS to allow it to work again, and without an apple code change, DisplayLink will not be able to make it work the way it did before.

I do alot of traveling for work, and the second monitor is almost a necessity for what I do. I've already started looking for a portable HDMI capable monitor that fits my needs and will eventually have to go that route, but for now, I can use this ASUS 169B+ for a little bit longer without having to deal with the Airplay limitations and intermittent problems.

Meanwhile, if anyone knows of a portable monitor with the following specs, please post the link:
-HDMI mini DisplayPort, or thunderbolt input
-15 to 16 inches diagonal
-small/thin enough to fit in a backpack along with my MacBook Pro and other items
-works on either 110 AND 220 volts (I often travel internationally and don't want to rely on a step down transformer)
-must be reliable and sturdy enough to survive my travels.

slvrscoobie 07-24-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofla David (Post 86402)
Yup, I'm good to go! I ran the 10.13.0 upgrade you posted, and then downloaded and ran the 10.13.3 combo update. Everything ran seamlessly and I am now at 10.13.3 with updates turned off. I'm perfectly satisfied for now sitting at 10.13.3. I can't really think of anything in the later High Sierra versions, or even in Mohave (except maybe Dark Mode), that I would really miss. I'm sure there are security updates that could be an issue, but It's a calculated risk I'm willing to take for now to be able to use my current monitor.

I have a feeling Displaylink as we knew it will never be the same. Apple is not going to change their OS to allow it to work again, and without an apple code change, DisplayLink will not be able to make it work the way it did before.

I do alot of traveling for work, and the second monitor is almost a necessity for what I do. I've already started looking for a portable HDMI capable monitor that fits my needs and will eventually have to go that route, but for now, I can use this ASUS 169B+ for a little bit longer without having to deal with the Airplay limitations and intermittent problems.

Meanwhile, if anyone knows of a portable monitor with the following specs, please post the link:
-HDMI mini DisplayPort, or thunderbolt input
-15 to 16 inches diagonal
-small/thin enough to fit in a backpack along with my MacBook Pro and other items
-works on either 110 AND 220 volts (I often travel internationally and don't want to rely on a step down transformer)
-must be reliable and sturdy enough to survive my travels.

Its not exact, but have you considered the Ipad pro 12" with Duet - allows you to use ipad for a second screen. Its updated recently and says they've gotten past the limitations of the 13.4 change.

Sofla David 07-24-2018 06:56 PM

I'll have to play with Duet (I already have the app) with my iPad and see how it is working after 10.13.4. I have an iPad mini that I use when I travel. The mini is too small to use as a second monitor and the pro is too big to use on the plane. Not to mention, a pro would be insanely expensive to use as a second monitor.

Gudd 07-24-2018 07:17 PM

If you need someone to test Duet for you without upgrading beyond 10.13.3 then let me know. I already own it and am currently on 10.13.6 for some other testing.

Sofla David 07-24-2018 07:26 PM

Thanks, I'm only running 10.13.3 on the computer I take when I travel, my others are current.