DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Displaylink ceases to work in 10.13.4 (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65890)

Alanant 03-12-2018 11:55 PM

Still broken in 10.13.4 Beta 5.

pacmanbneNL 03-13-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alanant (Post 85479)
Still broken in 10.13.4 Beta 5.

Yep still broke here after the applied update in fact I have lost network connectivity also just have keyboard as the only working function :(

Poly 03-15-2018 01:43 AM

HDCP support possible in 10.13.4?

Dear DisplayLink developers, if you have to rewrite the drivers anyway for the the 13.4 update, would it be possible to enable HDCP support, so that we can eventually watch iTunes movies on DisplayLink displays?

kvd51 03-17-2018 03:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawrenceShipman (Post 85213)
Did you fix this, I have had the same issue and this fixed it for me...
  • Download 4.1.11 driver, install as normal
  • Reboot MAC and log back in, screens are still not working
  • Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy
  • At the bottom of the General screen, it will say something like, certain apps were stopped from installing or loading, I can't quite remember exact message :)
  • Click message and then select the DisplayLink Corp option and it will ask to reboot again.
  • Reboot MAC and then all should be fine :)

Hope this helps someone!

Hey Lawrence- your suggestion worked for me! Big time thanks. I just bought the AOC monitor and could not get it to work at all. Running 10.13.3 before installing the DisplayLink driver. Have not installed to 10.13.4

slvrscoobie 03-18-2018 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvd51 (Post 85493)
Hey Lawrence- your suggestion worked for me! Big time thanks. I just bought the AOC monitor and could not get it to work at all. Running 10.13.3 before installing the DisplayLink driver. Have not installed to 10.13.4

Damn, thought this was for 13.4, didnt do anything on Beta 5

Alanant 03-19-2018 09:56 PM

No difference in Beta 6 either.

Just guessing, but it seems to me like Apple are not going to fix this. As part of their upcoming eGPU support, they probably killed some legacy process that the likes of DisplayLink was using.

DisplayLink, do you have new software in the works to address this? Not long to go now until 10.13.4 is publicly available (10.13.3 and 10.13.2 both had 6 betas).

Poly 03-20-2018 02:51 AM

R.I.P. DisplayLink on macOS!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alanant (Post 85504)
No difference in Beta 6 either.
[...] As part of their upcoming eGPU support, they probably killed some legacy process that the likes of DisplayLink was using.

Apparently, Thunderbolt 3 docks are the only option now. :(

slvrscoobie 03-20-2018 04:09 PM

https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/20/apple...u-support/amp/
"The release notes indicate that iMessage Business Chat will be available on macOS, as well as formally supporting external GPU (eGPU) systems. "
Looks like the formal eGPU support will be ready shortly - meaning DisplayLink might not need to support it any longer if they conform to the eGPU standards Mac needs??

Alanant 03-20-2018 08:11 PM

From my albeit limited research, eGPUs have been working without the need for drivers, from 10.13.4 Beta 1. This makes it seem like Apple are now adhering to eGPU standards which in turn implies that Display Link hardware works in a proprietary manner.

Somewhat related, the upcoming eGPU support will only work with Thunderbolt 3 Macs i.e. a 2016 or newer MacBook Pro. Applications need to be modified to leverage the eGPU as well.

DLguy 03-20-2018 08:54 PM

So basically, whoever has Display Link devices for any apple computer pre 2016 is no longer supported?

:confused::confused:

:(

Alanant 03-20-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLguy (Post 85511)
So basically, whoever has Display Link devices for any apple computer pre 2016 is no longer supported?

:confused::confused:

:(

No, I don't think that's the case. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but DisplayLink is not classified as an eGPU. The DisplayLink software is a proprietary Virtual Graphics Card which communicates with their Hardware Rendering Engine which is in the docks we are all using from a bunch of different manufacturers. DisplayLink need to update their VGC software.

Alanant 03-20-2018 10:33 PM

There is an Apple event on the 27th of this month. I think there is a good chance they will announce the availability of 10.13.4 (and break every DisplayLink device hooked up to a Mac).

DLguy 03-21-2018 07:15 PM

We are in the hands of Display Link. Basically if they decide to move forward and make it compatible we are ok, if not we all have to invest another $200 for a dock/hub.
All we can do is hope for support. We are counting on the DisplayLink team!!! :)

slvrscoobie 03-21-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLguy (Post 85519)
We are in the hands of Display Link. Basically if they decide to move forward and make it compatible we are ok, if not we all have to invest another $200 for a dock/hub.
All we can do is hope for support. We are counting on the DisplayLink team!!! :)

Go DisplayLink Team! Go!
Go DisplayLink Team! Go!

Poly 03-21-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLguy (Post 85519)

I hope you're right. But I also think that Apple needs to cooperate. If both parties can't negotiate a solution, our dock stations become useless bricks as soon as we update to 10.13.4. :(

DLguy 03-22-2018 02:54 AM

In my honest opinion, Apple will not comply. They will say this is our new standard and this is it. Take it or leave it.
I guess we can use these DisplayLink devices for windows PC's. It works like a charm on my Dell XPS, but no video on my Mac.

To Display Link Team >>>>
Are there any tests we can do to help speed up the process to get these docks to work. Its a win win situation. We get to test, you get to make corrections and your product works, and so does ours :)

Poly 03-22-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLguy (Post 85523)
I guess we can use these DisplayLink devices for windows PC's. It works like a charm on my Dell XPS, but no video on my Mac.

Yes, the HDCP problem has never been solved. No iTunes or Netflix videos (in Safari) work, and afaik DisplayLink said Apple is to blame.

But what other options are there if you're on a MacBook with a single USB-C port and still want to use two external monitors? DisplayLink was the only working solution so far. Apple doesn't even support multi stream transport (MST) via Display Port. However, MST works like a charm on the same machine when I boot to Windows 10.

slvrscoobie 03-22-2018 08:19 PM

Any chance we could drop in the 13.3 gpu drivers onto the 13.4 via kext edit? I do this with the BT as the continuity wont work on the older laptops unless you trick it into using it with the old drivers. I know its not a long term solution but at least till we figure this out which is days away from being a 2 month issue.

DLguy 03-23-2018 10:58 AM

I have a MacBook Pro with 2 thunderbolt ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports. Anyone have recommendations for alternate dock/hub (with Video/USB/Ethernet/Audio)?

Alanant 03-26-2018 10:12 PM

Still broken in 10.13.4 Beta 7.

slvrscoobie 03-27-2018 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alanant (Post 85543)
Still broken in 10.13.4 Beta 7.

confirmed here too.

karlg 03-27-2018 07:03 PM

Sames here as well. Two black screens.

Alanant 03-28-2018 04:16 PM

Its been three weeks since DisplayLink shared an update on this. Would love an update from @mlukaszek.

slvrscoobie 03-28-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alanant (Post 85560)
Its been three weeks since DisplayLink shared an update on this. Would love an update from @mlukaszek.

At least something. any news on progress. Starting to look at other solutions at this point. its been 2 months since this happened, and while I understand there would be some delay since Apple doesnt tell Devs what its doing, at least some kinda update or Alpha testers would be promising, but weve gotten nothing in weeks.

pmontelo 03-30-2018 12:47 AM

Same here

Mac-Mini 2012, DisplayLink display is blank after 10.13.4 "upgrade" :(

slvrscoobie 03-30-2018 01:23 AM

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/29...ierra-10-13-4/

10.13.4 is offical.
Prepare for a bunch of new users to find out dispalylink still doesnt work.

Alanant 03-30-2018 01:33 AM

Also confirming that our DisplayLink docks remain nonfunctional in the official 10.13.4 official release. The DisplayLink software was removed, Mac rebooted, display link software reinstalled, rebooted.

I feel sorry for the folks manning the helpdesks at every DisplayLink licensee. It's going to be rough.

vanhoosr 03-30-2018 03:00 AM

Me, too (10.13.4) DisplayLink not working

DisplayLink dead, black screen

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), just upgraded to Mac OS 10.13.4

Steve

Poly 03-30-2018 03:20 AM

Some official information from DisplayLink would be great. Perhaps even a warning on the driver's front page for macOS users?

Shall the Mac users postpone the 10.13.4 update, wait for a driver update or is it safe to say that DisplayLink support via USB on macOS is over ?

Is DisplayLink hardware past 10.13.4 just an expensive doorstopper?

Alanant 03-30-2018 03:25 AM

The only licensee with a mention of this issue is Plugable. They updated an older blog post after 10.13.4 was released and advise not to upgrade.

Wim 03-30-2018 07:13 AM

Dear all

As you have found, the released 10.13.4 update does not change the issues seen with the betas. It causes DisplayLink connected displays to go blank after the OS upgrade, with the current DisplayLink driver [4.1] installed. Functionality such as Ethernet and audio, where implemented, is unaffected. We have alerted Apple to this issue and have been working hard to find a resolution. These features continue to work as expected in 10.13.3.

In the meantime, we are releasing a new driver [4.3] that will enable clone mode, but not mirror or extended mode displays in 10.13.4. If you require mirror or extended mode displays, we recommend that you stay on macOS 10.13.3 at this time.

We understand that this loss of functionality on OS upgrade is potentially disruptive for our users and customers. Please be assured that this issue has the highest business priority in DisplayLink. We thank you for your patience and will provide an update on this situation, as soon as we have further information to share.

Wim

dsjdsj 03-30-2018 07:31 AM

Time Frame

Thank you for the update. I notice from previous posts that this has been going on for a while. Do you have any idea about the time frame for this to be resolved?

dizash 03-30-2018 08:43 AM

Just to confirm a couple of things you guys already probably know:

1. The workaround that another user posted a few betas ago and stopped working after one of the updates (Beta 4 or Beta 5): launchctl unload /Library/LaunchAgents/com.displaylink.useragent.plist
THIS CONTINUES NOT TO WORK BUT WAS A GOOD SOURCE OF HOPE DURING EARLIER BETAS.

2. Again, sorry if redundant - the DisplayLink Hardware still shows up in the USB Section of System Information (accessible via "About This Mac").

The OS definitely responds to the device but sadly just to display a constant blank screen.

I wish I could remember the last time I checked "Displays" under system preferences, but it's been at least 2 Betas or so. Under this Pref Pane I used to see the Arrange Tab and the option to gather all screens. It's weird (at least to my level of knowledge) that the above are not present in this pref pane but I guess it makes sense to an extent as I can no longer move the pointer with the trackpad off either the built in display or the one attached via TB. I wish I could remember when this behavior started. I can't say for certain, but it was one of the last Betas (maybe 6?). Prior to that, I could move my pointer to the blacked out screen and take a screen shot which when opened showed the display as it usually looked as if it was hidden behind a black screen sized rectangle.

Thanks to everyone who's been sharing - at least I've had the consolation from my fellow users that their DL hardware is not functioning either.

Hope to see some news soon.....thnx.

uncplayer23 03-30-2018 12:03 PM

I just got this from the manufacturer of my dock:

Thank you for being a Plugable Triple Display Docking Station user.

If this product is being used with a Mac, we have important news about macOS 10.13.4. This new macOS release only supports displays which are directly provided by a GPU or via AirPlay.

For this dock, this means versions of Apple macOS after 10.13.3 will only support the single 4K HDMI port on the dock which uses DisplayPort Over USB-C technology (which is directly GPU connected). The second and third displays on the dock -- the DVI and 2K HDMI ports using DisplayLink technology -- will no longer function. Windows and Chromebook computers are not affected, and will continue to work as usual.

TAKE ACTION

To continue to use all dock functions with your Mac, macOS updates must be disabled to remain on 10.13.3. To do so, uncheck the two highlighted boxes in the screenshot below. The boxes to uncheck (disable) are "Download updates in background" and "Install macOS updates" These are found in the "App Store" portion of "System Preferences" within macOS.

Poly 03-30-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncplayer23 (Post 85602)
This new macOS release only supports displays which are directly provided by a GPU or via AirPlay.

For this dock, this means versions of Apple macOS after 10.13.3 will only support the single 4K HDMI port on the dock which uses DisplayPort Over USB-C technology (which is directly GPU connected). The second and third displays on the dock -- the DVI and 2K HDMI ports using DisplayLink technology -- will no longer function

Wow, this is huge! Did Apple just close the door for any DisplayLink technology for good? :(

Quote:

1. DisplayLink software installs and acts like a normal display on the host. It detects monitors connected through a DisplayLink device and presents them to the operating system (for example Windows) as if they were normally attached monitors.

2. The OS then creates frame buffers for each display and the OS puts the display content there. <- Is that the part where 10.13.4 breaks the driver, since it's not a Thunderbolt 3 device?

3. The DisplayLink driver then picks up the pixels in the frame-buffer, encodes them and send them to the DisplayLink device.

4. The DisplayLink device then decodes these frame buffers and presents them to standard video interfaces like VGA, HDMI or DisplayPort. An on-board frame buffer means the DisplayLink driver only needs to send changes to the screen content. It can also adapt the compression so that the link is shared equitably with other services while maintaining high quality.

Alanant 03-30-2018 08:59 PM

Just a heads up. I needed to reboot the DisplayLink device for my external monitors to show up after installing the 4.3 beta.

dolphinman 03-30-2018 09:07 PM

Urgent!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wim (Post 85592)
Dear all

As you have found, the released 10.13.4 update does not change the issues seen with the betas. It causes DisplayLink connected displays to go blank after the OS upgrade, with the current DisplayLink driver [4.1] installed. Functionality such as Ethernet and audio, where implemented, is unaffected. We have alerted Apple to this issue and have been working hard to find a resolution. These features continue to work as expected in 10.13.3.

In the meantime, we are releasing a new driver [4.3] that will enable clone mode, but not mirror or extended mode displays in 10.13.4. If you require mirror or extended mode displays, we recommend that you stay on macOS 10.13.3 at this time.

We understand that this loss of functionality on OS upgrade is potentially disruptive for our users and customers. Please be assured that this issue has the highest business priority in DisplayLink. We thank you for your patience and will provide an update on this situation, as soon as we have further information to share.

Wim

---------------------------
Please forgive the redundant question:
(Re: ASUS MB169B+ DisplayLink drivers for High Sierra 10.13.4 update).

How soon will you have this resolved (a week, a month)?
This is ultra urgent for me, as it is for others. Please let me know something.
Thank you so much!

tommiy 03-30-2018 10:00 PM

Reading between the lines given that the issue has existed throughout the beta's and has not been solved I think that you may say it could be a very long time before displaylink is functional again.

I tried to post a issue in the Apple forums related to this problem and it was removed because 'i ranted' over the poor quality of apple bug fix releases that break existing used functionality and is not disclosed in release notes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolphinman (Post 85607)
---------------------------
Please forgive the redundant question:
(Re: ASUS MB169B+ DisplayLink drivers for High Sierra 10.13.4 update).

How soon will you have this resolved (a week, a month)?
This is ultra urgent for me, as it is for others. Please let me know something.
Thank you so much!

pmontelo 03-30-2018 11:04 PM

I'm going to give this a try, I hope this helps someone else out:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25593?locale=en_US

dolphinman 03-30-2018 11:42 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to stick it out for at least a week. I may just have to revert back to 10.13.3 and wipe all my data just so this puppy will work.
OR...I guess I'm shipping back and exchanging my ASUS MB169B+ (which was working beautifully with my MB Pro (mid-2015, retina) until the 10.13.4 update. Thanks.