DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Displaylink ceases to work in 10.13.4 (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65890)

Pagany 09-26-2018 09:57 AM

Feedback

As an IT support in company that has like 100 MacBook Pro devices i can confirm the following. New drivers 5.0 are working on all models except on models from 2018, where we can see only black screen with cursor on extended mode. Previous models are working like a charm. Because we suggested our employees not to update Mac OS version 10.13.4 to 10.13.6 they were using old 4.3 drivers, when they did an upgrade to Mojave now all the old drivers worked like a charm as well. So my question is how come all the models are working properly except for the ones made in 2018.. Isnt software the same? How come the hardware can make such a difference in a device that is only passing through and not doing any hardware acceleration? And when can we expect fix for devices made in 2018?

brossow 09-26-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbowater (Post 86775)
You might be, but no need to take it out on me ;)

The 5.0 cleaner was what did it for me.

Wasn't "taking it out on you" -- was simply asking what you considered proper cleaning, since nothing I tried worked. I think you misunderstood my comment/question.

Pbowater 09-26-2018 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowShooter (Post 86767)
Everything back to normal for me on 10.14 Mojave using version 5.0 driver - we got there in the end, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralfonso (Post 86778)
I can confirm that DL 5.0 also works with upgrade to Mojave 10.14.

1. upgraded to Mojave
2. downloaded DL 5.0
3. ran uninstaller from 5.0 (and restart)
4. installed 5.0 (and restart)
5. plugged in dock, and it dual extended mode works
6. docked/undocked a few times and it continues to work.

Note: I had to do Steps 2-4 a few times.
1st time I did while docked.. this was unsuccessful.
2nd time i did while undocked, and only docked after install/restart and that worked for me.

My experience as well, now I think about it, I undocked it before trying the second time using the 5.0 cleaner.

krw1243 09-27-2018 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbowater (Post 86772)
OK, so not entirely smooth, but am back up and running.

The uninstaller that comes with 4.3 failed to uninstall itself, but by running the 5.0 uninstaller, that worked, so after multiple reboots, and a successful 5.0 installation, I have two monitors back up and running on my MacBook Air mid-2012. Prior to being able to clean things properly( but with 5.0 installed), I had the black screens, with just a mouse pointer and thought I was in a right pickle...

Performance is better, much, much better, the mouse no longer skips across the screen like it did when running 3D stuff in the browser (e.g. https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/lightning/ ) . Previously it would slow down even if I de-focused the browser tab, or hid it behind another tab, now, I do still get a slow down, but nothing like before.

Checking activity monitor, when viewing the above page the DisplayLink drivers are hogging between 75 and 132% of CPU. I really don't think it should be doing that if I am honest with you.

So, at the moment, many, many steps forward (and a lot less cables) so definitely a win, but looking forward to 5.1 for sure.

For those with blank screens, try the proper cleaning routine and see what happens, nothing to lose but some time.

Thanks to the DL team.

Yay! You are my hero! I was having the black screen with just a mouse cursor on my early 2015 macbook air, and using the 5.0 uninstaller and reinstalling 5.0 fixed me! I would not have likely thought to try this if it was not for your post.

Pbowater 09-27-2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brossow (Post 86784)
Wasn't "taking it out on you" -- was simply asking what you considered proper cleaning, since nothing I tried worked. I think you misunderstood my comment/question.

Well, no, I didn't. But I was also *trying* to inject some gentle humour in there, which also appears to have been lost ;):confused::D

:cool:

Pbowater 09-27-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krw1243 (Post 86796)
Yay! You are my hero! I was having the black screen with just a mouse cursor on my early 2015 macbook air, and using the 5.0 uninstaller and reinstalling 5.0 fixed me! I would not have likely thought to try this if it was not for your post.

Good news, thanks krw1243! :)

Roisin 09-27-2018 10:12 AM

Having been following this forum for 9 months now, I downloaded Mojave as soon as it was released. I then uninstalled beta 4.3. Installed beta 5. Uninstalled beta 5, Reinstalled beta 5. Undocked and repeated the cycle (probably 4 times now) and my external screen stll won't work. I'm not even getting a black screen with mouse. The screen doesn't even wake up.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
Anyone got any ideas?
Please help

Pagany 09-27-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roisin (Post 86802)
Having been following this forum for 9 months now, I downloaded Mojave as soon as it was released. I then uninstalled beta 4.3. Installed beta 5. Uninstalled beta 5, Reinstalled beta 5. Undocked and repeated the cycle (probably 4 times now) and my external screen stll won't work. I'm not even getting a black screen with mouse. The screen doesn't even wake up.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
Anyone got any ideas?
Please help

Did you give permission to installed drivers in privacy and security?

Pbowater 09-27-2018 01:15 PM

Uninstall and reinstall without the DisplayLink device connected.

Roisin 09-28-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagany (Post 86803)
Did you give permission to installed drivers in privacy and security?

Under security & privacy -> accessibility, the DisplayLinkUserAgent box is ticked, yes. This was ticked from before and I did not have to re-allow.

Have tried uninstalling and re-installing without being connected to the dock (a couple of times)

Thank you for your suggestions though. Any more tips appreciated.

Mr.T. 09-29-2018 09:47 PM

I too have updated to Mojave, uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times with 5.0 and had no success getting an external monitor to work off the HDMI port on the DisplayLink.

I'm happy to hear that others have had success. But I actually haven't been able to get the DisplayLink to work with an external monitor ever since I bought it last spring.

I have a Late 2015 MBP.

brossow 10-01-2018 02:39 PM

FWIW, over the weekend I set up a new monitor, new connection (old one was VGA from monitor to DVI adapter to dock; new one is straight HDMI) and uninstalled/reinstalled the software repeatedly without the dock attached and still nothing. The monitor powers up when the dock is attached to the computer, but just a black screen -- not even a cursor. Disconnect the dock from the computer and the monitor goes into low-power mode.

Emailed logs to DisplayLink tech support exactly as directed and have been completely ignored. Pathetic.

newtonheath 10-01-2018 06:21 PM

I've been having same issues with final release of Mojave which I was led to believe would solve the problem. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling lots of times. 2016 MacBook pro so things should have just worked.

I have been connecting my monitor using a Kensington SD4700P using the HDMI port, which was never an issue until I upgraded to the version of High Sierra when things broke several months ago.

Today, the final thing I tried was using the DP++ port instead of HDMI, and that worked.

Yes, it works for me, but not an ideal situation. But thankful at least I have something working. Just posting to hopefully help some others out of this bind.

samk3nny 10-02-2018 01:04 AM

Same here

Just adding my voice, and frustration, to this thread.

I have a 2018 Mac running Mojave, two external monitors and a DisplayLink device that is essentially a brick. My company bought the above in quantities but I think we'll be returning all the DisplayLinks now and just buy lots of cables instead.

marcio.camuati 10-02-2018 02:18 AM

Any schedule to fix at Mac 2018?

Hi guys, any prediction of when we'll have a fix for Mac 2018?:confused:

Best.

MC Ren 10-03-2018 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcio.camuati (Post 86831)
Hi guys, any prediction of when we'll have a fix for Mac 2018?:confused:

Best.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say never. They've know about the display link problems since January and haven't fixed it. Display link is a joke.

warlockuk 10-03-2018 07:55 AM

Yeah. It's unlikely it'll get fixed in the next year if it's been 9 months already.

Docking is an even worse scenario; undocking for me means that re-docking will require multiple rounds of unplugging and replugging; first time will be a black screen, second will be mirroring a 90 degree rotated screen, third time MIGHT be the right orientation as a separate screen, but wrong resolution - which you have to change to stop the blurriness.

I'm really hoping a driver for 10.13.6 is going to happen at some point for corp. suckers who can't go to Mojave for a good while...

Right now, it's just a wave of pains in the butt. Like having to sit for a few minutes while the monitors sort themselves out. And undocking and having the laptop screen in the wrong resolution because the driver goes mad. YAY. NICE WORK.

mail@redsnow.co.uk 10-03-2018 08:50 AM

Wow,

Finally....

First time since January - its working.

1:Updated to OSMojave

2:Removed old display link drivers.
3:Restarted computer.
4:Installed 5.0 beta
5:Restarted computer.

Did this a couple of times as other user suggested and boom, its working.

happy days

daan 10-05-2018 02:50 PM

With Mojave and the latest update it is now working. Including rotation.

I do have an issue with high cpu use and I hear the fan of my 2014 15" mbpr constantly, which is extremely annoying. It didn't do this last year.

Practically still unusable for me (I cannot concentrate with a hovercraft on my desk).

Any sight on an optimized version?
Can I help with a debug log?

Pbowater 10-08-2018 10:15 AM

The last thing from Alban was:

The main item left to address on Mojave is some 2018 model with a fix having to be validated before distribution.

So basically, they are waiting for Apple or someone to approve their fix, and it will be released.

esalaza 10-09-2018 10:24 PM

It works now for me!

After uninstalling the old driver, rebooting, installing the new 5.0 one and rebooting again, on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with Mojave 10.14 (Targus USB3.0 DV2K Dock w Power + Three monitors), the monitors got signal but remained blank.

I got them working doing this: System Preferences -> Some system software was blocked from loading -> Allow -> DisplayLink Corp.

warlockuk 10-11-2018 08:12 AM

Annoyingly this (4.3, haven't tried 4.3.1 yet) driver gets worse. Plugged in this morning and had the airplay workaround just going nuts. Wouldn't detect the display but would just keep the airplay button clicked and waiting. Couldn't close or anything, couldn't shut down properly. Had to give it the middle finger of justice on the power switch.

It's not like I needed any of my workflow open or anything :)

Any closer to fixing it on 10.13.6?

RainbowShooter 10-11-2018 03:38 PM

An update after using 5.0 for a while on 10.14

I have noticed that whilst I get picture etc, the screen is extremely laggy (motion of the mouse, dragging windows etc) especially when compared to the last working version earlier in the year, hopefully, this is something that can be improved.

SabRhund 10-12-2018 01:01 PM

Finally working!

I am running a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), fresh install of Mojave. Like some other users here, after following the steps below, I still wasn't getting any functionality.

1. Install Mojave.
2. Restart.
3. Download 5.0 Drivers.
4. Run UNINSTALL package from the 5.0 drivers.
5. Restart.
6. Install 5.0
7. Restart.

I did this a few times, and nothing. I read a few pages back, in case I missed something, and sure enough, another user had reported that checking System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General revealed that parts of the install from DisplayLink were blocked by the security pane. Clicking 'allow' told me I needed another restart. After that restart, everything has returned to it's original functionality, and Im hoping that these last 9 months are a distant memory.

Roisin 10-18-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabRhund (Post 86902)
I am running a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), fresh install of Mojave. Like some other users here, after following the steps below, I still wasn't getting any functionality.

1. Install Mojave.
2. Restart.
3. Download 5.0 Drivers.
5. Restart.
6. Install 5.0
7. Restart.

I did this a few times, and nothing. I read a few pages back, in case I missed something, and sure enough, another user had reported that checking System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General revealed that parts of the install from DisplayLink were blocked by the security pane. Clicking 'allow' told me I needed another restart. After that restart, everything has returned to it's original functionality, and Im hoping that these last 9 months are a distant memory.

Same - except when I go to privacy & security > general, I can't see anything apart from 'a login password has been set for this user...' and ' allow apps downloaded from...'

Anyone have any idea why I may be missing the 'allow' function?

movdqa 11-06-2018 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roisin (Post 86934)
Same - except when I go to privacy & security > general, I can't see anything apart from 'a login password has been set for this user...' and ' allow apps downloaded from...'

It should only be there if there's something to Allow. The FAQ indicates that it's only there for 30 minutes after driver install so you may need to do that shortly after installation. It might also work if you go to the Privacy tab and Allow it to control your computer. I haven't been able to get this stuff working outside of mirror mode but I'm on 4.3.1 and 10.13.6.

movdqa 11-06-2018 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhasiuk (Post 86744)
The Belkin Thunderbolt™ 3 Express Dock HD can do that and is sold at Apple stores as well as online. It's pricey at a suggested retail price of $349, however.

Is there an option for those of us with Thunderbolt 2? I have a 2014 MBP 15 and I have a 2560x1440 and 1920x1080 monitors attached via DisplayPort and HDMI. I'd like to add a 1600x1200 display but haven't been able to get it to work with just cables. I suspect that using a Thunderbolt device could get three external displays working but I don't know what's out there that supports Thunderbolt 2.

JOEEDS 01-01-2019 03:57 PM

DisplayLink

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roisin (Post 86934)

1. Install Mojave.
2. Restart.
3. Download 5.0 Drivers.
5. Restart.
6. Install 5.0
7. Restart.

After doing these steps I am finally back to 3 displays :)

justaskingaquestion 01-11-2019 01:44 PM

Thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks for getting this all working again! I finally (hesitantly) upgraded to Mojave after reading that the newest DisplayLink version 5.0 should fix all the problems, and it does!

No more hanging out on an outdated OS just to be able to use my external monitor!

I honestly thought this was just going to languish in "oh well that sucks" or "here's a hack workaround" land forever, but you guys came through!

raj.shah7372@gmail.com 02-12-2019 02:55 AM

hello guys, I have Macbook 12-inch Early 2015 model with 1 USB-C port. What adapter do i need to purchase if i want to connect 2 external monitors ?

Thanks in advance.

Poly 02-22-2019 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj.shah7372@gmail.com (Post 87544)
hello guys, I have Macbook 12-inch Early 2015 model with 1 USB-C port. What adapter do i need to purchase if i want to connect 2 external monitors ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, check my signature. I use a USB-C Dock G2 from HP. Works well with the tiny 12-inch MacBook and two 1080p monitors.

pjones 03-01-2019 12:40 PM

Resolution?

Has there been any resolution to this issue? I still cannot get the Displaylink technology to work correctly. It worked fine then all of a sudden it stopped.

pburgeson 03-14-2019 12:37 AM

My dock has also ceased to work. I have 2 chromebooks. The one that is most up to date is on version 74 and the displaylink dock does not work. One that hasn't yet been updated is on version 72 and displaylink dock works fine as it has in the past. Any information would be much appreciated.