View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
ChristianP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
Hello,

If this has already been asked, I'd like to apologize in advance. I haven't been able to find it.

In the release notes for the 1.7 beta 4 driver, it's mentioned that there's no 3D (OpenGL) acceleration, and I'm not sure how to interpret this. Does this mean if I install the driver, there will be no 3D acceleration on my entire system, or is it only on my DisplayLink-enabled monitor?

When I ran OS X Lion (GM) with the DisplayLink drivers, I had a problem where I wasn't able to play videos in VLC, QuickTime, etc, nor was I able to watch flash on most websites such as YouTube.

So, will these problems be reintroduced if I install the new driver and what will the consequences of "no 3D acceleration" be? Is it system-wide or only for the DisplayLink-enabled monitor?

Thank you for your time.
The lack of 3D acceleration on DisplayLink driver doesn't impact on the 3D acceleration of the entire system. Just the DisplayLink-enabled screen won't have 3D acceleration (3D effects are rendered via software or using the internal GPU). There are particular applications that could show problems even on non-DisplayLink screen, just because of an missing or incorrect check on acceleration support.
The problems you reported are caused by an Apple bug on systems with a dual nvidia GPU setup. See this thread http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059.
Probably most of these bugs will be fixed in 10.7.2.