Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Mac Software

Old 05-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #11
natureminded

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello natureminded,
Can you give the reference of the display?
if it does charging and also does USB, you might be able to only buy a USB->DVI adapter to add to the monitor via USB2 as it's good enough for 1080p.
Alternatively, you can use a docking station and connect the LG display via DisplayPort to the dock instead of USB-C, like I do with both my LG monitors at home.
At the office, I have a HDMI to DVI cable on one of my Dell monitors, so that's also a possibility via a docking station.

Hi @AlbanRampon -- thanks so much for your response. Yes, my display is an LG HDR DQHD 49" -- exact model is: 49WL95C-WE. To achieve the max output of 5120x1440, afaik, I need the USB-C connection (it does route power to a macbook also when plugged in, however I'm using a mac mini with AC power).

I have an existing USBC dock, that has 2 HDMI ports on it, however it was a cheaper dock off amazon and when both the USB-C cable to the 5K 49" monitor and the dock are plugged in, the monitor connected via HDMI does not turn on / get recognized (likely an M1 related issue, as works fine on my intel based mac).

Would something like this work? Targus USB-C Universal Dual Video 4K Laptop Docking Station or Plugable USB-C Triple Display Docking Station

The Targus one seems nice...could just keep the USB-C right to 1 Thunderbolt port, and the DVI -> HDMI into one of the docks above? (and of course dock connects to mac mini via USB-C)

So TL;DR:

- Hoping with the 49" 5K to obviously keep the max res of 5120 x 1440 (I think USB-C is required for this, although maybe display port will work also
- The other monitor, is just 1080P, so less picky, would just need to be connected from one of its DVI or VGA in ports

Last edited by natureminded; 05-12-2021 at 02:24 PM.
natureminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #12
mbust

Thank you, @AlbanRampon. I'll be eagerly waiting for the upgrade. In the meantime, I just disconnected the 32-inch monitor from DisplayLink and connected it directly to the second port on the MacBook Pro. That has resolved the issue temporarily, as I can run that one directly as the single supported monitor on the M1 and use the docking station to run the second monitor.
mbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #13
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureminded View Post
@AlbanRampon -- Thanks for sharing this link to suggested docks. I'm seeking the same here, hoping to hook up 2 displays to my M1 Mac Mini. I've been having success with my 5K 60HZ monitor over USBC, but seem to be having trouble with my DVI > HDMI 1080P monitor. I ordered a new cable, so we'll see if this remedies the issue (connected via HDMI port the monitor is flickering in and out of detection).

I was wondering what docks you might recommend for the following setup:

- 1x 5K 60HZ LG 49" UltraWide via USB-C
- 1x 1080P Dell 23" VGA or DVI connection options -> HDMI

I have a 2020 M1 Mac Mini, and trying to get the same setup I had previously with my Intel based Mac.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!
Hello,
As it's a mac mini, I understand you're not constantly disconnecting and reconnecting it. I assumed it was a laptop. So, I personally would keep the direct connection of the LG display to the mac mini via USB-C even if it does DisplayPort (I checked the user guide). Then, you can use another adapter for the 1080p display like one of the top ones on: https://www.displaylink.com/products...um=1&vid_vga=1

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:17 PM   #14
assquad

Hello, I have 13' 2021 Macbook Pro with M1, latest OS, 2 screen HP E243, i have used 1 usb-c hub with 2 HDMI, only 1 display was working, now bought OKX docking station and when connected via 2x HDMI, or 1xHDMI + 1 DisplayPort Both screen works as mirrors and in Arrangement i see only mac screen and 1 HP screen. Still DisplayLink show as no devices connected. tried to reinstall software but no results. Can someone help?

Regards
Michał
assquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:29 PM   #15
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by assquad View Post
Hello, I have 13' 2021 Macbook Pro with M1, latest OS, 2 screen HP E243, i have used 1 usb-c hub with 2 HDMI, only 1 display was working, now bought OKX docking station and when connected via 2x HDMI, or 1xHDMI + 1 DisplayPort Both screen works as mirrors and in Arrangement i see only mac screen and 1 HP screen. Still DisplayLink show as no devices connected. tried to reinstall software but no results. Can someone help?

Regards
Michał
Hello Michał,
You'd need to give the model as the brand is not enough to know.
Only being able to clone the displays in the sign of using an MST dock on macOS, which means it does not use DisplayLink technology. This tends to be confirmed by the fact you are saying the app does not detect DisplayLink hardware.
The DisplayLink Manager app cannot change the hardware limitation of the product, and only works with DisplayLink chips.
macOS does not support MST, even on the Intel ones. MST docks only offer two different displays on platform supporting MST, like Windows 10. This article could give you more details on what MST is and the limitations. DisplayLink technology does not rely on MST.
Kind regards,
Alban

Old 05-13-2021, 10:38 PM   #16
assquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello Michał,
You'd need to give the model as the brand is not enough to know.
Only being able to clone the displays in the sign of using an MST dock on macOS, which means it does not use DisplayLink technology. This tends to be confirmed by the fact you are saying the app does not detect DisplayLink hardware.
The DisplayLink Manager app cannot change the hardware limitation of the product, and only works with DisplayLink chips.
macOS does not support MST, even on the Intel ones. MST docks only offer two different displays on platform supporting MST, like Windows 10. This article could give you more details on what MST is and the limitations. DisplayLink technology does not rely on MST.
Kind regards,
Alban
Thanks Alban for quick reply
My docking station is OKX Model U002 which example can be found under below link
https://www.amazon.com/OKX-Docking-S.../dp/B08CB4RWRV
Based on description i believe that something i made incorrectly because its should support DisplayLink. Are there any other places where i have to change setting beside Privayc and User setting to them automatically?

Regards
Michał
Old 05-13-2021, 10:48 PM   #17
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by assquad View Post
Thanks Alban for quick reply
My docking station is OKX Model U002 which example can be found under below link
https://www.amazon.com/OKX-Docking-S.../dp/B08CB4RWRV
Based on description i believe that something i made incorrectly because its should support DisplayLink. Are there any other places where i have to change setting beside Privayc and User setting to them automatically?

Regards
Michał
Michał,
I can see that your product title states "MacOS only Support Mirror Mode".
That cannot be a DisplayLink product. Photos in the description also shows all the same content on macOS but different content on Windows.
That is 100% an MST dock.
- "Please ensure your laptop USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 Type C port support Display Port Alt Mode": DisplayLink docks don't need that.
- "If your laptop only has USB A port, then it is incompatible with the docking station." DisplayLink use real USB traffic and work on ALL USB connectors.
I am sorry, not amount of setting changes will work here.
Regards,
Alban

Old 05-14-2021, 07:18 AM   #18
assquad

Thanks a lot, i miss this information, has to find other device,
Old 06-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #19
assquad

I bough new docking station which officially support DisplayLink and has charging option from Targus. All works well
Old 06-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #20
mrgold

I have a new MacBook Air with M1 and am using a USBC Hub with DisplayLink 1.4. External monitor is detected but extended mode doesn't work - can't move cursor to the screen. When mirror is checked I can use the external monitor. If I unclick mirror I can't access the external monitor but it's on - just can't move the cursor to it?
mrgold is offline   Reply With Quote