Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
crocdoc

Default Multiple issues, no visible solutions. Persevere or go for refund?

Hi, I've just received a new docking station (ASUS USB3) and, after many restarts, was able to get it working with my Wacom Cintiq tablet/monitor. For around ten or so minutes before this second monitor just went blank and was no longer recognised. I unplugged everything, plugged it all back in and got it to work, for perhaps two minutes before it went blank again. Wait, that's not true, when it goes 'blank' it actually displays a colour. Sometimes a reddish brown, sometimes a bright red, sometimes blue. Pretty, but not really what I'm after in an expensive graphics tablet/monitor, thanks.

Oh, and my Logitech mouse (which, strangely, is NOT plugged into the docking station but is plugged directly into the laptop via a USB port) is no longer recognised by the Logitech software and works intermittently. When it does work (ie when it isn't completely frozen), it stutters every few minutes. I've stopped using it.

Do I put hours and hours of effort into trying to resolve this (with no promise of a solution, given the number of unanswered posts on this forum - which I have noticed as I've tried finding solutions to my problem) or just send it back?

Incredibly annoying.

Last edited by crocdoc; 06-21-2013 at 05:47 AM.
crocdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
crocdoc

A bit of detail about my setup:

Asus N56VZ laptop, with 16Gb RAM, two graphics cards (inbuilt Intel card and 4Gb Nvidia Geforce 650m), Win8 64.
The USB display adaptor running DisplayLink is an Asus HZ1 USB3.0 docking station.
The second monitor is a Wacom Cintiq 21" tablet/monitor. For some reason the female DVI socket on the Asus docking station differs lightly from the male DVI plug coming from the monitor so the monitor was plugged into the HDMI port via a DVI/HDMI adaptor.
The mouse (which shouldn't have anything to do with this, given that it hasn't been plugged into the docking station, but gets interrupted regardless) is a Logitech wireless M505.

I've downloaded the latest DisplayLink drivers and have installed/uninstalled them three times, with multiple restarts of the system. One thing that I have noticed is that when I install the software it at no point informs me that the software has been installed. After seeing the progress bars move quickly for a few seconds the dialogue window closed and... that was it. Nothing else. When I look at Windows task manager I can see some low level activity with the DisplayLink software running in the background and wait for that to stop before restarting the computer. Should there be some indication that the software has installed? If so, how long would it normally take? I have waited for very long periods of time on each install.

I've also checked out this page:
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896

Unfortunately, although that link tells one what to look for, it doesn't provide information on what to do if the DisplayLink drivers do NOT show up in device manager (as they don't in my setup). They do show up when I call up the program list for uninstallation.

At this stage I've uninstalled the software and repackaged the docking station for shipping back to the supplier, unless someone comes up with a reasonable solution in the next while.

Edit: Had one last attempt at installing the software (x4, now). This time the software actually showed up in the system tray and my Cintiq stayed functional for a full 20 minutes (best effort yet) before going a bright violet/crimson mix and losing all functionality. Very pretty, if a bit disturbing. The mouse did its usual, froze, stuttered, froze, refused to respond to the Logitech software.

I have around 60 hours until the post office opens again on Monday, so I'll give it until then to see if any helpful responses show up here, after which it'll be shipped off for a refund.

Last edited by crocdoc; 06-21-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: add extra bit of information
Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
JamesH

Hi,

Do the DisplayLink devices how up with yellow exclamation marks against them in device manager?

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
crocdoc

No yellow exclamation marks.

When I check the hardware IDs as per this page...
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=896
...the hexadecimal number isn't 8063, but 4301&MI_01
Old 06-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
crocdoc

What I find strangest is that it affects a mouse which isn't even plugged in via the docking station. It has taken me a while to type this because the mouse keeps freezing and then stuttering. The other unusual thing is that my monitor calibrations keep popping back to default (especially the laptop's screen), so I have to relaunch Spyder every few minutes to reset it. I am in an industry in which having my monitors calibrated is crucial.

edit: I set it up again today and thus far, the Cintiq hasn't switched off or gone bright chartreuse. However, I have tried recalibrating it and tiny error messages keep popping up about not finding monitor 32, 1600, 1200 (and assorted other configurations/numbers). They pop up so frequently at times that the calibrator cancels itself because the message windows appear directly beneath the sensor. This just keeps getting better.

Last edited by crocdoc; 06-22-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
JamesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocdoc View Post
What I find strangest is that it affects a mouse which isn't even plugged in via the docking station. It has taken me a while to type this because the mouse keeps freezing and then stuttering. The other unusual thing is that my monitor calibrations keep popping back to default (especially the laptop's screen), so I have to relaunch Spyder every few minutes to reset it. I am in an industry in which having my monitors calibrated is crucial.

edit: I set it up again today and thus far, the Cintiq hasn't switched off or gone bright chartreuse. However, I have tried recalibrating it and tiny error messages keep popping up about not finding monitor 32, 1600, 1200 (and assorted other configurations/numbers). They pop up so frequently at times that the calibrator cancels itself because the message windows appear directly beneath the sensor. This just keeps getting better.
Hi,

This article may help with the mouse issue:
http://logitech-en-emea.custhelp.com...usb-3.0-device

For the other issues I really need to see the debug logs to have a chance of seeing what is happening.

Instructions on gathering them can be found here:
http://www.displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=269

Thanks,
James
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
crocdoc

Thanks, James, that was extremely helpful. That first link certainly explains the mouse issue and also why it seemed to work better when I had the receiver plugged into the docking station rather than the laptop. It had nothing to do with the docking station vs laptop USB port, but simply that the USB slot I was using on the docking station was closer to the mouse, whereas previously I had it plugged into a USB sot on the far side of the laptop.

Regarding the Cintiq monitor crashes, I think I have managed to get some sort of stability in the secondary monitor (the Cintiq) while using the docking station today, as the monitor hasn't gone blank or brightly monochromatic all day, possibly the result of me putting together a complicated series of cables and adaptors so that I could plug the monitor's DVI-I fitting into the docking station's DVI-D interface, rather than using a DVI-I - HDMI adaptor and plugging the monitor into the HDMI interface (as I had previously). The HDMI plug may have a bit too much play, causing an intermittent signal, whereas DVI plugs can be bolted into place.

If it starts crashing again, I'll certainly start sending debug logs.