Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 05-03-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
amazan23

Default Win10 1803 Problems

Since the Update to Win10 1803, I have problems with DisplayLink. When starting from Hibernate, the Docking Station is not recognized. Only a restart will solve this issue. But when restarting, it hangs around 5 minutes and then a bluescreen appears with error message "Driver Power State Failure". I already had the same issue when upgrading to Win10 long time before. I am using Driver 8.5 M0.
amazan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
Farrago

Default Win 1803 Problem

I can add to this that the same problem exists when resuming from sleep. I believe that this behaviour may have started with the Windows Display adaptor driver 8.5.3361 dated 6/4/2018.
I am running 1803 17134.5 with 8.5 M0 although I reverted to 8.4 M2 and this made no difference.
Farrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:52 AM   #3
i2000s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrago View Post
I can add to this that the same problem exists when resuming from sleep. I believe that this behaviour may have started with the Windows Display adaptor driver 8.5.3361 dated 6/4/2018.
I am running 1803 17134.5 with 8.5 M0 although I reverted to 8.4 M2 and this made no difference.
I can confirm this error as well. BSOD appears every time I resuming from suspension. If I turn off the Docking station and sleep my computer, there is no problem. So, it has to be an issue with the displaylink driver.
i2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:22 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

I can understand how you could think that... but a BSoD comes from a kernel mode driver failure and DisplayLink does not have any kernel mode driver on that version of Windows.
In a nutshell, even if we wanted to create a BSoD, on Windows 10, we technically cannot!

We can however create the bug report to Microsoft with the MEMORY.DMP attached.
In the system settings, select full memory dump, then after you've had the BSoD, collect the MEMORY.DMP which will be the size of your RAM, compress it (Zip or 7z), put it on your preferred file sharing service and tell us the link. Once downloaded, we can tell you and you can delete it.
Then when we have the file down, we can analyse the DMP, check you all have the same trigger, and schedule this to be reported to Microsoft who can then direct this to the proper company or internal team.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #5
i2000s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
Hello,

I can understand how you could think that... but a BSoD comes from a kernel mode driver failure and DisplayLink does not have any kernel mode driver on that version of Windows.
In a nutshell, even if we wanted to create a BSoD, on Windows 10, we technically cannot!

We can however create the bug report to Microsoft with the MEMORY.DMP attached.
In the system settings, select full memory dump, then after you've had the BSoD, collect the MEMORY.DMP which will be the size of your RAM, compress it (Zip or 7z), put it on your preferred file sharing service and tell us the link. Once downloaded, we can tell you and you can delete it.
Then when we have the file down, we can analyse the DMP, check you all have the same trigger, and schedule this to be reported to Microsoft who can then direct this to the proper company or internal team.

Kind regards,
Alban
Thank you for the reply!

My computer has a 64GB memory and my disk doesn't have enough space to store the memory dump so that it never generated one for me. I guess it might also be difficult for other people to upload the dump file to you as well. Can you test and reproduce this on any of your own computers in the company? I guess this issue could be very popular based on my reading over reddit. Thanks!
i2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:47 AM   #6
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2000s View Post
Thank you for the reply!

My computer has a 64GB memory and my disk doesn't have enough space to store the memory dump so that it never generated one for me. I guess it might also be difficult for other people to upload the dump file to you as well. Can you test and reproduce this on any of your own computers in the company? I guess this issue could be very popular based on my reading over reddit. Thanks!
A minidump then, but something. Otherwise reporting another BSOD, when we get one, has zero guarantee this will be relevant to your case.
If I have no info from the call stack, they can't do the bucketization and check for frequency with telemetry and justify high priority... The error code name is too generic and won't give them any actionable data on the culprit, the call stack does at least give hints. The first thing they will ask for is the dump for analysis.

I've been using Win10RS4 for months on my surface pro 3, and I haven't seen it. If we need to fight internally to get a reproduction, then this will unfortunately be increasing time to resolution.
We report BSOD we have a stable reproduction of during testing when we observe them. I don't remember seeing that one.
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote